• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What do you back up? (full data reset)

speede541

Android Enthusiast
It seems this gets easier every time I do it.

Thanks to cloud storage and mature apps, today about the only things I feel compelled to back up before wiping my phone and starting with a clean slate are my Nova and Sound Profile profiles. I also make note of my Touchdown settings.

Games save files if you've got 'em, but what do you have on your list?

I am an ardent fan of Nova Launcher Prime and Tasker. In addition I have a folder with a number of subfolders with data that I add like apps I wrote or from other sources.

I recently did a Factory Data Reset and took all the screenshots before hand and made sure I had recent Nova and Taker backups.

The recovery was incredible (the first time since using Nova). I re-downloaded all my apps form Play Store, copied over my directory, and reloaded Nova and Tasker.

I was very close to done. The only thing I had overlooked was some Tasker Functions that I had run through App Factory. I had to rebuild them.

(It should be noted that I NEVER play any game on my phone.)

... Thom

Tasker doesn't have online backup / sync for use on PC & tablet? (I don't use Tasker, but use Pocket & Keep, which do.)

BTW I recently picked up a Leef micro USB reader which works natively with the Maxx running 4.4.4 for direct drag & drop file backup to an external SD card., utilizing USB OTG. Very convenient!

I use an app called DropSync to watch specific folders on my phone and upload them to the same named subfolders in my Dropbox called "Maxx". Basically, I have my settings for Plume and Nova Prime exported to a folder, I have BeyondPod's folders synced, all of my custom wallpapers and notification sounds, the /download folder, and basically the whole /data folder.

So, you know, even if my phone breaks or is stolen, setting up a new phone is as easy as reinstalling apps, starting Dropsync, and having it sync those folders back to the phone.

All that said - it's still a pain. Google really need to do what Apple's done with iOS. It's so easy to factory reset an iPhone or iPad and get it back *EXACTLY* as it was that Google should be embarrassed about what Android does with factory resets.

I'll check out Dropsync. Sounds handy.

What I don't like is initializing a new device and seeing Google reinstall all my apps. I wish I could manage it in a more metered, selective way, vs. the all or nothing approach. That's the only way I know how to sniff out any misbehaving or battery hog apps.

Back
Top Bottom