• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What should I move to SD card?

What should be moved to SD card to free up memory?

• Move it to SD card

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • clear from SD card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello,
My memory is running low and I've plenty of space on the SD card.
What (and how) should I move to the SD card to clear up my memory?
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello,
My memory is running low and I've plenty of space on the SD card.
What (and how) should I move to the SD card to clear up my memory?
Suggestions would be appreciated.

Basically you can move just about anything that you have down loaded yourself like Skype for example, and should have no problems with it running correctly. I am sure that there are exceptions that more seasoned members will point out, but for the most part you'll be safe. I have all my games and messaging apps like Viber and We Chat on the sd card and they all run fine.

You can pretty much move anything your phone will allow you to move with one exception.

Do not move any app that has a widget. Widgets like live weather, facebook status and updates, and such can break or not function properly if you move the primary app to the sdcard. Its not the end of the world if it does happen, just move the app back into phone memory and the widget will be fine.

You can pretty much move anything your phone will allow you to move with one exception.

Do not move any app that has a widget. Widgets like live weather, facebook status and updates, and such can break or not function properly if you move the primary app to the sdcard. Its not the end of the world if it does happen, just move the app back into phone memory and the widget will be fine.

You learn something new everyday, thanks!

Quick bit of advice. If you are running your favorite apps from the SD card, make sure you back up frequently. SD cards were never intended for the read/writes of a running app and can tax it to the point of early failure. And, when these things go, there is little or no warning. Wouldn't want you to lose anything important.

Quick bit of advice. If you are running your favorite apps from the SD card, make sure you back up frequently. SD cards were never intended for the read/writes of a running app and can tax it to the point of early failure. And, when these things go, there is little or no warning. Wouldn't want you to lose anything important.

Very good advice here.

There is an app called helium backup you can use to create backups of your favorite app data, then move the backup off the device for safe keeping.

It does not require root and only needs to be connected to a PC once so Helium desktop can enable data backups on your device.

Back