• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What the Foxtrot?? Locked out!? Help!!

Einsteindks

Nov 24, 2010
So trying to set up Mcafee on the new Droid Maxx, and I fat-fingered it locked. No big deal, I know the code well enough. Unlocked McAfee, but now it's locked some other way??? I've blown 6 out of 10 chances thinking it was McAfee. It's not. Is it Google or Verizon or??? I do recall allowing administrative rights, but not necessarily setting up a password with anyone. HELP!!!!!!

Yes, it's from the lockscreen. Confirmed it's not McAfee or the new Android Device Manager. Aside from the slide lock, I only had the pattern lock set up, and this is asking for a pin (telephone keypad on screen). I think Motorola has something? Not sure. In any case, I've GOT to get to bed. A frazzled brain frequently nodding off isn't good. I'll look in here for any further suggestions, but will also tap Verizon's brain on this later this morning. Thankfully, the phone still charges and the wrist-flick still activates the camera for picture taking (only).

Upvote 0
I think I may have narrowed it down to Android Device Manager. Only one question...IF I did a factory wipe, would the SD partition be wiped as well? This phone has no true SD card to remove. From what I've been able to find out, there is no way to recover the alleged unlock PIN. UGH

Edit: yes, a reset WILL wipe the SDcard. I pulled the trigger out of angry frustrated disgust

Upvote 0
I had the same problem when I was setting up my phone for the first time.
After much frustration I figured out what was "changing" my PIN lock.

Any app that I've installed that disables the PIN lock will set the PIN code to a blank. Yes, a blank. So instead of disabling the PIN lock, it makes your PIN lock accept only a blank (just hit Enter with no code typed in). Entering the PIN code you use normally will make it say it's invalid.

I had this happen twice with two different apps. Delayed Lock (awesome app to disable the lock when connected to a specific wifi or bluetooth) and another app which I can't remember the name of that was supposed to do the same thing for Wifi.

I love the feature to have Trusted Bluetooth devices to disable the lock. Shame they didn't add Trusted Wifi as well.

Upvote 0
What I highly suspect that happened, was when enabling administrator rights to Motorola for the phone 'in a partnership with Google', it/they kicked in when they sensed the McAfee unlock, and lock the phone. Unfortunately, neither service had any option to unlock the phone. Given the typical training of Motorola customer service, I was pretty much screwed from the start. I'm on vacation, my daughter is not with me at the moment, so I had the time to rebuild the phone. It ironically turned out for the better because I found some apps that I have been looking for, and the phone is actually better than it was. And only ONE entity is authorized to lock the phone, wipe the phone, and I KNOW that code. PLUS, I have a backup way to lock/unlock/wipe it myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones