• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's different between the retail and IO versions?

A.Nonymous

Extreme Android User
Long story short, I'm looking at trading for one of two Tabs. Both are 32 GB, but one is the Google IO version and one is the standard retail version. Aside from that, they are identical. What is different about the IO version besides the Androids on it instead of being grey? Is the software/hardware any different? Will it get the ICS update that's coming too? Is it harder to root? Are there no differences at all?

The Google version is identical to the retail version except for the white rear case with the little android guys, and that it came pre-installed with the earlier version of Honeycomb. I would expect them to be cheaper, since they were pre-release and given out free to show attendees. There is a slight chance it might have the infamous "newton rings" problem, since that wasn't resolved until shortly after the retail version hit the store shelves.

The Google version is identical to the retail version except for the white rear case with the little android guys, and that it came pre-installed with the earlier version of Honeycomb. I would expect them to be cheaper, since they were pre-release and given out free to show attendees. There is a slight chance it might have the infamous "newton rings" problem, since that wasn't resolved until shortly after the retail version hit the store shelves.

What is the "newton rings" problem? Also, does it run a different rom or anything like that?

Newton rings was the issue caused by a slight contact between the outer glass and the inner touchscreen. It creates a slight rainbow effect, similar to what you see if a car drips oil in a puddle. More here. If the unit has it, it's a free fix, but you have to deal with the inconvenience of sending it back, etc. Same ROM, same specs, the later versions just include the Touchwiz UX overlay to the OS. The update basically just gives you some additional bloatware plus a really useful (IMO) 4th softkey for taking screenshots w/o requiring root. There might be more to it, but that's all I remember (since mine came with the update out-of-the-box). In any event, it's an OTA update, so no worries if your unit doesn't have it.

BTW, there are also two other variations of this tablet... the 10.1V for Vodaphone market (totally different ROM), and a retail 10.1 with a white rear case without the android figures.

Thanks. Guy wants to trade a 32 GB version w/accessories for my Transformer Prime 32 GB w/just a case. Trying to decide if it's worth it.

I love my 32 GB Tab, but I'd keep the Prime if I were you.

I love everything about the Prime except for the screen. In every other way, it's better than the Tab 10.1, but I can't deal with the IPS screen. Colors just don't pop as much.

Back
Top Bottom