• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your T-Mobile prepaid plan/setup?

312city

Hey guys my name is Dave. I'm new. I would like to know other peoples prepaid setup.

I'm currently using a unlocked Moto X 32GB with the $30 T-Mobile plan. I've had this plan since 2012. The included 100 minutes is not enough usually, but at 10cents a minute and only have to add a $10 refill card maybe once a twice a month is still the best deal out for 5GB of fast LTE for $50 or less, especially if you in a well covered area. I use all 5 gigs too (lucky I have Xfinity wi-Fi at home and on the go). I also refill my plan and minutes through CallingMart for discounts. I also pay $10 month for Beats Music (which is awesome). I've been stop using VOIP apps, they just don't work consistent enough for me. Lucky I have xfinity Voice at home and also don't mind buying more T-Mobile refills for the additional minutes I need.

The $80 plan is attractive as well. Unlimited LTE, Talk, Text and a extra 5GB of Hotspot for a iPad or Tab S. Upon release of the Moto X2,... I've been thinking about upgrading to the $80 plan. About $30-$40 extra what I'm paying now. Is it worth it? Be more attractive to pay through CallingMart to avoid tax.

If you go unlimited, you might consider switching to MetroPCS, since they are T-Mobile, particularly if you don't need tethering. Their unlimited plan is only $60/month, so you'd save $20.

I think MetroPCS caps their LTE speeds but I could be wrong. The only prepaid brands that's don't cap LTE speeds is AT&T GoPhone, Verizon AllSet, and T-Mobile . Besides, Metro isn't in Chicago yet anyway.

I think MetroPCS caps their LTE speeds but I could be wrong. The only prepaid brands that's don't cap LTE speeds is AT&T GoPhone, Verizon AllSet, and T-Mobile . Besides, Metro isn't in Chicago yet anyway.

I've not heard of MetroPCS (the GSM side) capping their LTE speeds; though you could check on the MetroPCS forums to be sure. MetroPCS IS in Chicago because they were purchased by T-Mobile and all new customers are on the T-Mobile network; the old MetroPCS network has already started to be converted, and CDMA should be shut off next May.

As an alternative, there is a T-Mobile reseller, tellallmobile.net, that offers the unlimited plan (including international texting, Music Freedom, tethering, etc.) for $60/month. This plan should essentially be the same as postpaid T-Mobile service.

I've not heard of MetroPCS (the GSM side) capping their LTE speeds; though you could check on the MetroPCS forums to be sure. MetroPCS IS in Chicago because they were purchased by T-Mobile and all new customers are on the T-Mobile network; the old MetroPCS network has already started to be converted, and CDMA should be shut off next May.

As an alternative, there is a T-Mobile reseller, tellallmobile.net, that offers the unlimited plan (including international texting, Music Freedom, tethering, etc.) for $60/month. This plan should essentially be the same as postpaid T-Mobile service.

Yeah I know Metro is part of T-Mobile now and they have coverage here. I meant to say is that they don't have a launch here yet nor any stores (at least to my eye). I have seen ppl here recently from out of town with Metro phones so I know it works if you go online and get service. Now that other reseller you just suggested sounds to good to be true. I would have to do my research on them.

Yeah I know Metro is part of T-Mobile now and they have coverage here. I meant to say is that they don't have a launch here yet nor any stores (at least to my eye). I have seen ppl here recently from out of town with Metro phones so I know it works if you go online and get service. Now that other reseller you just suggested sounds to good to be true. I would have to do my research on them.

If you go back to my previous post and the link, if you search there are a number of "MetroPCS stores" in the Chicago area -- in quotes because they are cell phone stores that are authorized MetroPCS dealers, not corporate stores (not sure they will open any new corporate stores).

There are a few T-Mobile resellers that have similar prices, though the ones I know are set up for business and self-employed people. For example, Harbor Mobile is set up for business customers and has the $60 unlimited price with all the T-Mobile postpaid benefits, and I know of some individuals (not businesses) that have signed up.

Essentially, T-Mobile allows these companies to buy the plans at a corporate rate (similar price to the per person cost on a maxed out family plan) for resale, in exchange they handle the customer service for the customers rather than T-Mobile.

If you go back to my previous post and the link, if you search there are a number of "MetroPCS stores" in the Chicago area -- in quotes because they are cell phone stores that are authorized MetroPCS dealers, not corporate stores (not sure they will open any new corporate stores).

There are a few T-Mobile resellers that have similar prices, though the ones I know are set up for business and self-employed people. For example, Harbor Mobile is set up for business customers and has the $60 unlimited price with all the T-Mobile postpaid benefits, and I know of some individuals (not businesses) that have signed up.

Essentially, T-Mobile allows these companies to buy the plans at a corporate rate (similar price to the per person cost on a maxed out family plan) for resale, in exchange they handle the customer service for the customers rather than T-Mobile.

Someone has recommended Harbor Mobile to me for their $15/5GB data plan. Is that a good idea? I'm thinking I need a T-Mobile hotspot + sim card from Harbor and I'm good to go. Am I missing anything else?

https://www.harbormobile.com/plans/

Only just now realized that the "free" tablet acts as the hotspot. And includes Music Freedom.

Back
Top Bottom