• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp says can not restore messages from the backup.

Kharl

Good morning!

I am having problem restoring a backup from the cloud (google drive)
i wanted to migrate my whatsapp from my tablet to my phone, therefore i did a backup at 5am, it was a 15gb backup.

i deleted the whatsapp and all the files in the tablet, then uninstalled whatsapp.

then i installed whatsapp in my phone, put the phone number, selected to restore and successfully found the backup i did create early, i selected the restore option and it start to do it's thing. but suddently there was an error saying it was unable to restore messages, then gave me option to skip or to restore an earlier backup.

but when i select to restore an earlier backup, it suppose to show me previous backup version, the previous backup version was on 9th this month, and the google account where i have the backup was gray out, meaning there is no more backup there

I'm pretty certain WhatsApp only keeps 1 backup on Google Drive. All I can suggest is clear WhatsApp's cache on your phone, reboot and try again.

This is too late to help you, but for anyone else who might read this: there is no need to delete WhatsApp from one device in order to switch to another. So the safe thing to do is always to set it up on the new device before removing anything from the old one. WhatsApp can only be active on one device, but inserting your SIM in the new device and opening WhatsApp will deactivate it on the other device (but you can reactivate it just as easily if you have any problems). If you still have the media, chats and chat backups on your old device you can upload another backup or copy the media and backup folders to the new device and restore from those (I've done that manually when other tools have failed - you don't have to rely on Drive).

That's actually 16MB rather than 16GB. Which is quite small if it contains media rather than just text.

Does it always fail at the same point (24%)? If it does then I'm out of ideas, as that would suggest a corruption in the backup. If it's more random how far it gets then there's always the hope that it might actually complete if you keep trying.

That's actually 16MB rather than 16GB. Which is quite small if it contains media rather than just text.

Does it always fail at the same point (24%)? If it does then I'm out of ideas, as that would suggest a corruption in the backup. If it's more random how far it gets then there's always the hope that it might actually complete if you keep trying.
it is accually 15gb, but the first part of the restoration is always way smaller than the whole backup, it is like the most recent TEXT messages only while the rest and the media loads background, so the part where it stucks is in restoring those recent, only text messages.

in other words, it is normal, at least for me, that always have been the process, a big backup, but it firstly restore some text messages while the rest continues background

it is accually 15gb, but the first part of the restoration is always way smaller than the whole backup, it is like the most recent TEXT messages only while the rest and the media loads background, so the part where it stucks is in restoring those recent, only text messages.

in other words, it is normal, at least for me, that always have been the process, a big backup, but it firstly restore some text messages while the rest continues background

15GB, just doesn't sound right for a WhatsApp backup file. Unless you've got hours and hours of HD video buried in there? Assuming it isn't, it sounds much more like your data is corrupted.

My last WhatsApp backup and transfer was only 2MB with 5 years of use.

15GB, just doesn't sound right for a WhatsApp backup file. Unless you've got hours and hours of HD video buried in there? Assuming it isn't, it sounds much more like your data is corrupted.

My last WhatsApp backup and transfer was only 2MB with 5 years of use.

7 years of use, and all my previous backup from the last two years has been over 10gb.

2mb of your whatsaap backup, thats probable the uploaded data needed to update the previous one.

i dont now why you found weird 15gb of backup, i have two other phones the same time, and the data is proportional the use i gave to them, my work phone, i use it a lot, and has 9gb of backup 6 years of use, my partner has its whatsapp backup of intense use, 3 years and it is 8gb.... so.. whats the deal?

Back
Top Bottom