• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When calling microphone barely works.

Sanderf90

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
For the past few days I have noticed that during calls people can't hear me. I tried it myself calling to my voicemail and indeed, if I listen very closely I can hear myself... but barely.

Turning on speakerphone seems to resolve that issue. Other apps using the microphone (ok google, video recording, a recorder app I downloaded) have no issues.

I tried following solutions:

Rebooting.
Updating
Turning off OK-Google.

No solution has been found yet. I hesitate to think it is a hardware issue considering the other apps record my voice just fine. Any solutions or people with similar issues that have found a solution.

Hi @Sanderf90 and welcome to Android Forums :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Nexus 5X. Is your phone in a case, by any chance? If so, does the problem continue if you remove it from the case?

You could also try rebooting into Safe Mode just to make sure that none of your installed applications are getting in the way.

Keep in mind that the Nexus 5X actually has multiple microphones; it's possible that the one used for calls (at the bottom edge of the device) could be failing or partially blocked, while the other(s) would still function for speakerphone or other non-call functions.

Upvote 0
Hi thank you for the response!

I removed the case and did the safemode test already. Both didn't resolve the issue. However in the mean time I also popped by the store. It's still under warranty so it won't cost me anything to have it checked out, though I will have to deal with not having a phone for several weeks.

Googling taught me that similar devices had similar issues. Some even came with a guide on how to resolve it by opening up the device. Since my warranty on this device is pretty extensive (it even covers: 'oh shit I dropped it' situations), I'll have some professionals check it out (I'd probably electrocute myself if I tried to fix it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones