• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When Lollipop is installed

After. Because there are likely changes to the pre-installed apps, their data will be update when you install the new versions, and that's where any likely data issues that could cause inefficiencies or corruption could occur.

I have to be honest - I'm going to try running the phone for a while without an FDR, just to see if any problems happen. Last year when the Droid Maxx received KitKat I was in the midst of holiday activity and travel and so had no chance to do an FDR for about ten days. I thought that the phone badly needed it, as its battery life was worse than under Jellybean. It didn't take too long after the FDR to discover that the phone was fine prior to the reset - it was KitKat itself that was worse on the battery.

However, yep, do the FDR after...

I agree. Always after. That guarantees that you are starting with a "clean slate".

I always do a Factory Data Reset after any major upgrade (still waiting for Lollipop). I plan for it and use Nova Launcher Prime, Pixel Phone Pro, and Tasker. I restore all apps from Play Store. The net result is that a Factory Data Reset is no longer a big deal. It only takes a little tweaking.

If there are any apps that are not compatible with the new version they are identified in the reload from Play Store.

... Thom

I often will do an FDR both before and after a major update - it makes the most sense to do it after, but I don't want to have to wait on the application caches ("Optimizing applications...") to rebuild post-update.

I often will do an FDR both before and after a major update - it makes the most sense to do it after, but I don't want to have to wait on the application caches ("Optimizing applications...") to rebuild post-update.

That is an excellent point.

I have always been a member of the soak test for the upgrade and they always wanted to do the upgrade without any changes before hand. I then did the Factory Data Reset after the soak test ended and the upgrade was released.

For people not in the soak test your approach makes a lot of sense.

... Thom

Is there a guide on how to do the factory reset? Im planning on doing this as well. Tom do the 3 apps you mentioned Nova Launcher Prime, Pixel Phone Pro, and Tasker have any guides as well? Been running Nova Launcher since the beginning but never used their prime app.

Factory Data Reset (from Mototola website) ...

WARNING: When using this feature; everything is deleted from the device.

NOTE: Reset will require a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, please charge for 20-30 minutes and try reset again.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to Wipe data / factory reset and the POWER Key to select this option
8. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the POWER key to CONFIRM
9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT
10. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Tasker ... http://androidforums.com/forums/tasker.1930/

I know of no specific guides for them. The user interface of Tasker is the biggest challenge.

... Thom

Make sure that you copy any photos or videos off of the phone before you do a reset, because they will be erased as part of the factory reset.

(You probably want to have ongoing backup to a service like google+, Dropbox, flickr, etc., anyway in case your phone is lost or fails and requires a reset to work anyway.)

I know have a good reason to want Lollipop Android 5.0x on my phone. Android Auto will be available on many new GM products by the end of 2015 and I suppose it will be available on many other cars also very soon also. I need a new car anyway and screen casting is a gotta have.

Thanks Thom Right after i posted here, i received an email from work saying we needed to change carriers from Verizon to AT&T. I had been looking at a Note 4 and decided to pass the Droid Maxx along to the wife. Backed up my pics and videos (thanks doogald) and did the factory reset. Nothing else on the phone that i wanted, made sure i had backed up my contacts and calender events, although i didnt find a good method to backup "my device" calendar. Made sure i started using Google calendar on the Note 4 so the backup wont be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom