• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Where Do Messenger Downloads Go When Downloaded? (Can't find them anywhere)

PGB1213

Hello All!
I have a ZTE Maven with Android 5.0. Today's puzzlement regards the stock Messenger application. Sometimes I get a message that has a button "Click To Download". I'll click it and then AT&T sends me a message saying the download is complete and that I just spent 20 cents (I pay per text). But, I can't find the downloaded file. I never can find the files.

I have called the sender to find out what was sent to me to help my search. No luck. I searched this forum and on line for information with no helpful results.

I searched with File Manager in every folder on the device and its SD card, beginning with the 2 Downloads folders. Do any of you know where these files may have landed?

Thanks Very Much for your help!
Paul

Go to your app drawer and select "Photos" which is a Google Photos icon in a primary color pinwheel.

This often dumps you into a list of currently taken photos (which you don't want). Tap on the icon in the upper left to pull up a menu. There should be an option that says "Device" or something similar that allows you to bring up photo folders from the device.

In here there SHOULD be a folder called "Messages" or "Messenger" which show what you want.

Reciting this off the top of my head so instructions might not be exact, but poke around and report back! (you may also find them in a "downloads" folder)

Thank You Very Much, Rob for your help. I appreciate the time you took to explain how it should work.

I don't have a "Photos" selection in the app drawer, but I do have one titled "Messages". In there were text messages, including the ones for which I can't find the downloads. (The downloads aren't there.) Using the App Drawer, I tried the "Downloads" button, but no luck was to be had.

I'm starting to wonder if those downloads were not really downloaded at all and are still floating around in AT&T cyber-world somewhere. I returned to the messages to try downloading again, but the "Click To Download" button is gone now.

Thanks Again for helping, Rob I never tapped the App Drawer before, so it was fun to explore how it works.
Paul

Sorry that didn't work! I have two other suggestions:

(1) Download ES File Explorer (or another File Manager) and open it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

This should allow you to explore all the files on your device through folders like a regular computer. Tap around and see if you can find the files by trial and error.

(2) Instead of paying per text, download an app such as WhatsApp:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.whatsapp

Then you can send and receive messages, files, photos, etc... through WiFi and not have to pay for text messages or text message downloads all the time. This of course assumes you have WiFi.

Good luck! And let us know!

Hello Rob!
I apologize for not replying sooner. I've been away.
Thank You Very Much for the suggestions for the apps.
ES File Explored is amazing. I've, for lack of a better word, explored File Explorer and find it very helpful. It is much more user friendly than the stock File Manager.

The messages that I originally wrote about are still nowhere to be found, so I can only conclude that AT&T didn't actually send them to the phone. Sometimes AT&T isn't the best at messages, like when they charge for 3 or 4 messages when the sender only sent one.

I also downloaded WhattsApp but haven't had time to test a message yet. It'll be nice to have free messages when I'm on WiFi, not to mention actually getting the messages people send.
It looks promising!

Thanks Again for all of your help. I do appreciate it.
Enjoy Today!
Paul

Back
Top Bottom