• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Where'd the internet go?

I've had my Acclaim for four days now. The first two, I could be anywhere and get on the internet. Now, the phone won't connect to the internet unless it picks up a wifi signal. What did I do, and how do I get it to go back to getting internet anywhere? What's the point of having a smart phone if I can't do anything on it but phone calls and text messages?

I've had my Acclaim for four days now. The first two, I could be anywhere and get on the internet. Now, the phone won't connect to the internet unless it picks up a wifi signal. What did I do, and how do I get it to go back to getting internet anywhere? What's the point of having a smart phone if I can't do anything on it but phone calls and text messages?

Welcome to Android Forums, toniabarone.

I'm afraid Al Gore took the internet back.

Just kidding. :D

Have you gone through your browser and wireless/network settings to be sure nothing was unchecked/checked inadvertently? Sometimes that can happen while scrolling around a menu.

Also, can you check via computer to be sure there is no outage in your area?

Welcome to Android Forums, toniabarone.

Thanks.

Have you gone through your browser and wireless/network settings to be sure nothing was unchecked/checked inadvertently? Sometimes that can happen while scrolling around a menu.

Also, can you check via computer to be sure there is no outage in your area?
The only thing I did concerning the settings was add a wifi network, and that was only because the phone had already decided to take the internet away and I needed to look something up.

And I've looked online, and as far as I can tell, there's no outages.

Do you have wireless hot spot configured?

Also, please don't be offended, but I'm wondering if you've had any billing issues with your carrier lately.

Wireless hotspot?

Not offended, and no, I haven't. Only thing lately is the contract was renewed, which is why I got a new phone in the first place.

Some Android devices can be configured to run as a wifi hot spot/router for other devices.

Ah. If my phone has that option, I have no clue where it is, how to do it, nothing. I read somewhere that 3G is how it gets the internet, and that the symbol is EV. I remember seeing that, but not since I lost the internet. I thought maybe seeing if I did something with the 3G thing messed it up, but I can't find anything on the phone to even acknowledge it even exists.

I did try dialing *228. My phone said it wasn't a valid number.

EDIT: Wait. I tried again and got through. And yay! That did it! Thanks so much! Maybe I dialed it wrong last time?

Cool.

A miss dial or just the network busy.. who knows.

Good on you for making another attempt again. :)

Back
Top Bottom