• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which IDE?

I'm just starting with Android development and I want to choose the best IDE.

I know that Google have an IDE, but then Eclipse have an add-in and I think Netbeans have add-in.

But which IDE is best and which is most commonly used?

(Yes, this is a total beginner question.)

The most commonly used IDE for Android development is Android Studio, which is developed and maintained by Google. It is generally considered to be the best IDE for Android development, as it is specifically designed for Android development and provides a wide range of features that are tailored for Android development, such as a visual layout editor, a code editor with advanced code completion and refactoring support, and a range of tools for debugging, testing, and profiling your app.

Other IDEs, such as Eclipse and NetBeans, also have plugins or extensions that allow you to develop Android apps, but they may not have as many features or be as well-suited for Android development as Android Studio.

In general, it is recommended that you use Android Studio for Android development, especially if you are just starting out. It is a powerful and user-friendly IDE that will help you quickly get up to speed with Android development.

The most commonly used IDE for Android development is Android Studio, which is developed and maintained by Google. It is generally considered to be the best IDE for Android development, as it is specifically designed for Android development and provides a wide range of features that are tailored for Android development, such as a visual layout editor, a code editor with advanced code completion and refactoring support, and a range of tools for debugging, testing, and profiling your app.

Other IDEs, such as Eclipse and NetBeans, also have plugins or extensions that allow you to develop Android apps, but they may not have as many features or be as well-suited for Android development as Android Studio.

In general, it is recommended that you use Android Studio for Android development, especially if you are just starting out. It is a powerful and user-friendly IDE that will help you quickly get up to speed with Android development.

Thank you for that

If you're developing in a Windows environment I would recommend Notepad++.
In Linux I would recommend just opening terminal and executing this command:
Code:
gedit
That's how the real professionals develop ;)👍

Last edited:
Visual studio code is terrible IDE for Android. AndroidStudio is 10 years back in comparison to MSVisualStudio and NetBeans is almost identical to AndroidStudio and moreover is NOT free. So, the right choice is AndroidStudio. 🤔 and you have to believe that google will improve it ... in future... maybe ...

Do not be sad, there is several other IDEs which you can use for Android Development e.g. CodeGearRAD studio - Delphi(pascal) or BuilderC++, Qt/C++ for Android, Lazarus for Android in pascal, MS VS 2022 VisualBasic Xamarin, MS VS 2022 C# MAUI Xamarin for Android, TizenDevelopmentStudio C/C++ for mobile phones + tablets + TV ... and many others. So, you can choose anything...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom