• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which plan allows phone to act as mobile WiFi hotspot?

lmurphy1

(August 2014)
Nexus 5, unlocked, no Sim card yet. No carrier yet. KitKat 4.4.4

I would not mind having no voice minutes, I.e. pay as I go for them maybe $0.15 a minute, as long as it comes with an unlimited data plan which allows Nexus phone to act as mobile hotspot for tablet, laptop, etc

Basically I'm looking for a really friendly data plan with ability to make phone calls, as needed even if they aren't as low. My usage pattern is around 30 minutes talk per month but lots of data use.

Is there such a plan? How much? What is it called? T-Mobile? Sprint?

Check out cricket wirless prepaid.
Unlimeted everything
Higher throttle than most after highspeed data is used.
And while running jedix20 on my tmobile note ii, (I would recomend a custum rom).

I teather every day. And ive been with cricket wirless since they were aio wirless and one month old.

Check out cricket wirless prepaid.
Unlimeted everything
Higher throttle than most after highspeed data is used.
And while running jedix20 on my tmobile note ii, (I would recomend a custum rom).

I teather every day. And ive been with cricket wirless since they were aio wirless and one month old.

At&t mvno

Hi Prepaid Guy! Thanks for your quick response.

I can appreciate that many people prefer to install and run a custom rom, and root their phones and the like, but I don't do run one.
a) I just got this phone a little over a week ago and
b) I prefer not to make major changes to what came out of the box, unless I really must do so.

I did a search... I see AT&T took over Cricket.

I found this page dated July 31 2014 comparing AT&T mvnos:
ATT MVNO's Comparison by Price and Features - BestMVNO.com

The Best AT&T MVNOs and Prepaid Cell Phone Plans

(The plans listed represent what we feel is each AT&T MVNOs best offering for smartphones)

I will read it and see if there's one there that fits my needs.

Thanks again for your quick response,
Linda

In that case, mind the hidden apn settings.

I liie apn backup and restore to remove all apns then program just what I need.

Requires root as it must be a system app. Also hit menu to diaable ics check in apn b&r.

^if you have problems hotspoting on stock rom.

You could look into the T-Mobile $30 "Walmart" plan. It comes with 100 voice minutes and 5GB of high speed data (throttled after the 5GB). The negative is that it technically only has 100MB of tethering -- though if you are tethering to a tablet it likely won't count it (and others here can tell you how to get around it, if it does).

To sign up for the T-Mobile plan, you need to get a prepaid sim kit. You can buy them from Walmart for $36 (which comes with $30 on the SIM) or from T-Mobile online for $10 (no money on the SIM).

Back
Top Bottom