• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why did samsung not upgrade processor speed to 1.5GHz??

taylormah

Almost every single upcoming android powerhouse phone I am reading about has a 1.4-1.5GHz dual core processor. Even international LTE GSII would get upgraded to 1.5GHz. With a bigger body and battery than original international GSII, samsung could have safely increased their processor speed and thereby maintained some good lead for a little longer in the US market, so what could be the reason they still chose to go with 1.2GHz clock speed??

Now I understand that numbers are not everything, and exynos clocked at 1.2ghz is already fast enough and still has muscle to overpower many other competing processing chips, and as such, 1.2Ghz would give us a side benefit of even more slightly increased battery life over a day's use, but its few of us educated android users from these forums who know it, not the common man, who is in majority and who would be basing his choice based on what sales people tell him or what he reads on the device label. I remember originally international GSII was going to be launched with 1GHz dual core initially, but samsung later increased the clock to 1.2 for competitive edge. With iPhone5 just coming out in few more weeks, and almost every upcoming super android phone having bigger clock speed number, why did Samsung still choose to keep processor speeds at 1.2GHz??

Why doesn't it have a HD display also? I would image it has something to do with cost and availability.

Probably only Samsung knows.

Because the thing is pure awesomeness as it stands today! Seriously though, it's a sleeper. I bet you it's a popular phone.

Lets please keep this thread on topic. Its about CPU speed in case anyone forgot:)

NOT the specs of the iphone, which we all have the freedom to prefer if we so wish:)

The simple answer is because Samsung will tease the market with the 1.2 GHz processor and then release a 1.5 GHz after that to push more sales. Europe/Asia etc. had the GSII first with 1.2 GHz which will then be followed by the 1.5 GHz so the US will have to pay it's dues as well.

And the 1.2 GHz if plenty fast enough. Incremental improvements is the way of business. I'm sure they have plenty more stuff we don't know about that they are saving for future phones.

On a side note, Amoled+ with Qhd resolution and 4.5 inches will be unbelievable.

On a side note, Amoled+ with Qhd resolution and 4.5 inches will be unbelievable.

Qhd combined with Super Amoled Plus would be better then combined with SLCD. BUt what's even better is a hd resolution. It's already in the works for phones so qhd is becoming a standard quickly. We want next level.

I challenge any of you to notice, without a side by side comparison, a "non-HD" phone with an "HD" one.

Anyway, its so easy to overclock why does it matter? The phone is awesomeness.

HD is easy to see.

For you. Ha, ha. For folks older than around 45, near vision is such that we have to either have reading glasses, or like me, get along without them. A big display helps, but fine pixel count goes unnoticed.

Oh, to be young again and be able to count the dead pixels....

Keep in mind that 1.5Ghz in LTE SGS2 is probably dual snapdragon s3, not exynos. So it's not as fast as 25% bump in clock speed suggests. 1.2Ghz Exynos is still beating other high end smart-phones in benchmarks. The next significant step up in performance will be from 1.5Ghz OMAP 4460 going into Nexus Prime. I think Exynos still has plenty of life to go and it can be overclocked a little like Galaxy Note (1.4ghz exynos) shown at IFA.

For you. Ha, ha. For folks older than around 45, near vision is such that we have to either have reading glasses, or like me, get along without them. A big display helps, but fine pixel count goes unnoticed.

Oh, to be young again and be able to count the dead pixels....

LOL, point taken.

i'm sure there's a cost factor involved too ... us hardcore techies on android forums are way more concerned than cpu's specs than majority of people buying the phones. perhaps not enough cost benefit in faster cpu. remember even though this phone is out soon, it's had to be in design/development for sometime before release.

Once we get root, roms, and custom kernels, it'll get overclocked to 1.5ghz + easily anyway, so what's it matter?

This.

As for why it is slower, I would thing that it is for safety and to leave room for expansion later (a Samsung Galaxy S 2.5?) Why play all their cards on one phone when they can sell a a different phone in a few more months that is "faster" then the SGS2?

if they bumped the specs then it would be the upcoming nexus prime right? I assume they want that phone to have bestter specs than
the sg2

if they bumped the specs then it would be the upcoming nexus prime right? I assume they want that phone to have bestter specs than
the sg2

Not necessarily. If you are referring to "they" as Samsung or Sprint, they have very little to do with competitive specs.

Google works out the specs with the manufacturer selected to produce the next Google Nexus phone. The manufacturer tells Google what is possible and what is not.

Samsung doesn't necessarily want the Google phone to be better than what Samsung is producing under their own brand. That being said, technical evolution suggests that since the Nexus is coming out later, it will be a faster processor.

I have still seen nothing to suggest that Sprint will have the Nexus phone before the end of the year.

Just be glad we didnt get the T-Mo version of the Galaxy S 2.. they got the short end of the stick (dumbed down processor). I'm very happy Sprint stayed with the Exynos!

Back
Top Bottom