• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why does the coverage map look so inconsistent?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
This probably isn't a T-Mobile-specific question, but it was their map I was looking at and their service I'm considering switching to, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyway, I'm wondering why these coverage maps always have random splotches of color for "excellent" or "strong" or "good" (etc.) signals all over the place. If a carrier has towers in a certain area, then shouldn't the entire area be covered, making the map have much larger and more consistent blocks of coverage? What causes a few blocks of an area to have "excellent" coverage, and then around it is "strong," and then it becomes "excellent" again? Why isn't it all the same in that area?

Thanks.

Most likely those random splotches are where towers are located. Hence being right near the tower results in really good signal and as you move away, signal deteriorates.

Most likely those random splotches are where towers are located. Hence being right near the tower results in really good signal and as you move away, signal deteriorates.

I don't know, one "excellent" area is a circle around my house, in a fairly small area, and I don't see a tower in my backyard :-)

Radio signals are tricky things. For example, in the back part of my house I get 0-1 bars. But in the bathroom (not that I take the phone in there) I always get three plus bars. Then as soon as I get further than 50-feet away from my house I get 4 bars 90% of the time.

Also, there is a busy street that I drive down often. I have a high speed connection on that street the whole time except when I drive by a fast food place. There my signal will drop to 3g. Then edge as I am right next to it. Back to 3g. Then back to high speed.

A lot of things effect your mobile signal: metal, electricity, other radio signals, solar radiation and apparently trans fats.

Radio signals are tricky things. For example, in the back part of my house I get 0-1 bars. But in the bathroom (not that I take the phone in there) I always get three plus bars. Then as soon as I get further than 50-feet away from my house I get 4 bars 90% of the time.

Also, there is a busy street that I drive down often. I have a high speed connection on that street the whole time except when I drive by a fast food place. There my signal will drop to 3g. Then edge as I am right next to it. Back to 3g. Then back to high speed.

A lot of things effect your mobile signal: metal, electricity, other radio signals, solar radiation and apparently trans fats.

I have Sprint, so I know a thing or two about erratic reception. :-)

But that doesn't really explain the official map from T-Mobile.

But that doesn't really explain the official map from T-Mobile.

Actually it does. t-mobile back in the day (and maybe today) used a third party coverage map that showed a true representation of their network coverage in order to not create false expectations. Next time you look at the map see if they tell you the sourcing.

That's what I gather from the splotches of dark green on their maps. It seems to be a true representation of signal strength where dark green = 5 bars, next level = 4 bars, etc.

I notice on the other carriers coverage maps they just paint areas where they have coverage as all of one color so as to make their maps look artificially extremely strong. Like I notice the AT&T and Verizon coverage maps just have dark red and dark blue blanketed over the entire city but seeing as I just left Verizon, I can certainly say that their maps are very misleading as to how strong your signal will be in certain areas.

Bottom line, I see T-Mobile maps as being the most honest when coming directly from the carrier.

That's what I gather from the splotches of dark green on their maps. It seems to be a true representation of signal strength where dark green = 5 bars, next level = 4 bars, etc.

I notice on the other carriers coverage maps they just paint areas where they have coverage as all of one color so as to make their maps look artificially extremely strong. Like I notice the AT&T and Verizon coverage maps just have dark red and dark blue blanketed over the entire city but seeing as I just left Verizon, I can certainly say that their maps are very misleading as to how strong your signal will be in certain areas.

Bottom line, I see T-Mobile maps as being the most honest when coming directly from the carrier.

Sprint maps LIE. :(:what:

Back
Top Bottom