• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why doesnt Android have built in voicemail?

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
Why doesnt Android have built in voicemail like the iphone does? I switched to the Gnex for a few months and one thing i hated was the fact i had to pay verizon an extra $2.99 a month or whatever for the voicemail service. With the iphone it's built in and not an extra charge.

Other than google voice, are there any plans for Android to ever have this feature implemented? What does take to accomplish it on Googles end?

Where are you getting $2.99 for voice mail? Voice Mail has always been included in the phone plan. Do you have a link to Verizon's Website showing this $2.99 charge?

Why doesnt Android have built in voicemail like the iphone does?
The iPhone does NOT have voicemail built-in.

I switched to the Gnex for a few months and one thing i hated was the fact i had to pay verizon an extra $2.99 a month or whatever for the voicemail service. With the iphone it's built in and not an extra charge.
You need to talk to VZ. Sounds like yet another VZ ripoff.

What does take to accomplish it on Googles end?
Get a Google Voice number, install GV on your phone and setup GV to handle your voicemail. Instructions are on the GV website.

The iphone does have vm built in. If your provider allows the service voicemail is pushed to iphone as file. No need to call voice mail number to check messages. I think that is what he meant by built in.

Please see this posting: Can I use Google Voice for voicemail on Verizon? - gdgt

Grab a Google Voice number and the GV app and setup your voicemail. The $2.99 charge is to use Verizon's Visual Voicemail app, which is a rip off since you can do it for free and better with Google Voice.

On your GNex it will even list the voicemails directly in your Call Log for you.

just make sure and clear out your GV txt often, since it only shows so many by default, I lost track of them. Then had bad problems with GV freezing up. Cleared out 35 pages of txt fixed it.

I have had google voice for years, use it once in awhile. So how do i exactly use my verizon number with googles voicemail?

I do not want to have to give out new numbers to everyone, or forward numbers or any of that stuff. That is why i have not given google voice(mail) a chance.

Thanks

Love Google Voice! Use it with my Vonage home phone. Frwd to GV after a few rings. Someone leaves a message and I get a notification on my cell phone. Open the GV app and I can listen to the message or try to decode the message transcript (always fun). GV is just as good when you allow it to be your cell voicemail.

I have had google voice for years, use it once in awhile. So how do i exactly use my verizon number with googles voicemail?

Just go to the Google Voice website and sign in the Google account that has GVoice.
Click the Setting (gear) icon in the upper right corner, select setting from the drop down menu.
Under the phone tab, if it's not already there add your cell phone (number)
Then check the box next to that number and click the "Activate Google voicemail on this phone" and follow the instructions. The string you dial just forwards your voicemail to Google Voice instead of Verizons VMail servers.

Back
Top Bottom