• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why is my screen being recorded

gale65

Android Enthusiast
And how do I stop it? I. Didn't initiate it and don't really even know how to. But I can't make it stop without rebooting. I have no idea what is causing or starting it. It just shows up in my notification bar and says recording screen with a camera icon next to it.

When you pull down the notification bar, does it give you any idea of an app that is recording?

I've moved on to the testbuilds of Lollipop for DU, but as I recall, there is a quick tile for screen record (also an option in the power menu IIRC). Are you somehow hitting the quick tile? You can certainly use the quick tile to turn it back off (it's a toggle).

There's no clue as to what app is causing it. Clicking on it in the notification bar does nothing. Looking at recent apps doesn't show any that could be causing it. My quick tiles show a screen shot option, which works properly, but there's no record option.

Btw I rebooted so it's not doing it now. There's also no video that I can find but while it's recording there's a temp video in my gallery which won't open.

I'm not quite sure how you are getting it triggered, but you might want to go into dirty Tweaks and add it to your Quick Tiles so you at least can turn it off without rebooting.

There's nothing to add in dirty tweaks. When I go to add things to the quick tiles, the only camera related option showing is the screenshot option. I don't see a record screen option.

When it's doing it, it has the camera icon (not the same one as the screen shot option on the quick tiles) and says "recording screen" and to the right it has a timer showing how long it's been recording. I can't pinpoint the starting time to anything different I've been doing.

There's nothing to add in dirty tweaks. When I go to add things to the quick tiles, the only camera related option showing is the screenshot option. I don't see a record screen option.

When it's doing it, it has the camera icon (not the same one as the screen shot option on the quick tiles) and says "recording screen" and to the right it has a timer showing how long it's been recording. I can't pinpoint the starting time to anything different I've been doing.
Unfortunately, I don't have DU KitKat on my N5 so I only have memory to go by. Could have sworn there was a quick tile for screen record. Have you installed anything new lately? I would try reflashing the ROM and see if that cures it, You can try dirty flash first, but clean flash if that doesn't work. Otherwise, I'm drawing blanks. Certainly never ran into that behavior myself.

Back