• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help why wont xp show tab connected?

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
I recently bought the 10.1. I love it! But, after installing the drivers on my gateway running xp, the tablet wont show up. Anyone else having this problem? I downloaded an ebook and I want to put it on the tablet, but it doesn't show up in "my Computer" so I can transfer the file. Is there a special way to transfer files when you hook the tablet up via the USB cord?

Did you reboot after you installed the drivers? That was a crucial step for me, it didn't work until I rebooted.

Did you reboot after you installed the drivers? That was a crucial step for me, it didn't work until I rebooted.

thanks for the response.

Yes, I rebooted both devices, and it dings like the computer recognizes it, and the device goes into debugging mode, but it wont show up in the "my computer" so I can drag files onto it...

Yes, I rebooted both devices, and it dings like the computer recognizes it, and the device goes into debugging mode, but it wont show up in the "my computer" so I can drag files onto it...
I believe you have to turn off the USB Debugging on the GTab first, then it will recognize it as an external drive. That's what I had to do with Windows 7, anyway.

I am having the exact same issue. I have tried EVERYTHING! USB debugging on, off, rebooted both devices many many times, tried the older version of kies and the newer version. It's frustrating to say the least. A few others have had the same issue. No one has come up with a solution as far as I know.

I am having the exact same issue. I have tried EVERYTHING! USB debugging on, off, rebooted both devices many many times, tried the older version of kies and the newer version. It's frustrating to say the least. A few others have had the same issue. No one has come up with a solution as far as I know.

What do you mean kies? What is that? Ive only downloaded samsungs drivers.. Is there something else i need to download now?

at the risk of sounding like a newb... (which Im not Ive rooted my DROIDX and done other cool stuff to it) Do I need to download the kies program too? I thought I could just use the usb drivers install to make my computer recognize it..
Does the kies program come with drivers, or do I need to have the separate usb drivers installed too??

at the risk of sounding like a newb... (which Im not Ive rooted my DROIDX and done other cool stuff to it) Do I need to download the kies program too? I thought I could just use the usb drivers install to make my computer recognize it..
Does the kies program come with drivers, or do I need to have the separate usb drivers installed too??

I've only had the tab for 5 days, but I haven't had the need to install Kies. I just grabbed the drivers, installed them, rebooted, unchecked usb debugging and I was in business. I don't plan on using Kies.

I've only had the tab for 5 days, but I haven't had the need to install Kies. I just grabbed the drivers, installed them, rebooted, unchecked usb debugging and I was in business. I don't plan on using Kies.

I've only had mine 5 days too. Installing just the drivers didn't work, so I'm downloading kies now. But, I can't uncheck usb debugging as long as the connector is in the tab?? It says unplug usb cab first. Wtf? How are u disabling debugging mode?

UPDATE:
So, I was playing around in settings, and I figured out how to connect to Kies via wifi. That worked! So I transfered some music and an Ebook to the device. That worked!

So, I went and disabled the usb debugging with the usb cord not connected, and then plugged it back in, and after about 3 minutes if finally showed up in Kies, and in My Computer. So, thank you everybody for the help! I greatly appreciate it!!

Cheers
Cody

Just did this 15 minutes ago, here's how:

Downloaded drivers ONLY from samsung site.
Installed on windows 7 computer.
That's it. Didn't even have to reboot, just connected tab to computer. It's showed up as a drive. Just transferred some files both onto and off of the tab with no problems.

(Ah insomnia, how would I ever get anything done without you!)

Back
Top Bottom