• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi-fi connected but nothing loads, if I disconnect and use cell signal, everything works

kwhopson

ATT Galaxy S5 Active. When connected to wi-fi nothing loads, like webpages, Google Play, Facebook, video services, etc. But if I disconnect wi-fi and use the cellular signal, they all load perfectly. Even though ATT pushed Lollipop a couple days ago, this has been happening for a couple months. Any ideas? Thanks - kwhopson

Check that the router security encryption is set to WPA2/AES. Do not use WEP, WPA2/TKIP or WPA2/AES/TKIP.

When done setting the router security if you still can't go anywhere unplug the power to the router for 30 seconds, plug it in, give it plenty of time to reboot, like 3-4 minutes and try connecting again.

If you still can't go anywhere on the internet even though you seem to be connected, try a simple ping test to see if you actually have a working connection.

If you don't have one, Install a terminal app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

Open a terminal and type: ping -c5 74.125.224.72

That will ping google.com 5 times, stop and give the result.
If it successfully pings Google, your connection is active and more troubleshooting needs to be done.
If it fails to ping Google your connection is not working and more troubleshooting needs to be done.
Either way, updating your router's firmware might help.

Last edited:
I guess I should have mentioned that this happens on wi-fi everywhere, not just my own router at home. I'm at a major university right now, and my Nexus 10 is connected to it no problem, whereas my S5 says its connected, but won't load anything (unless I disconnect and use cellular).

I do appreciate it, thanks. I cleared the cache partition but need to visit different wifi spots over the next day or so to see if it worked.

Last edited:
Nope. Didn't work. Same problem at a few wifi hotspots this morning. May do a full factory reset eventually, but gonna try a few more ideas first. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, I had this problem also. Phone would report my main router WiFi was connected but nothing would download. Next I discovered download would work if I connected to my WiFi extender instead of directly to the main WiFi router. Go figure. This persisted for about 2 weeks. Now everything has started working OK again. I don't know why.

My S5 will do something similar... it looks like the signal is strong, every other device in the house can access the internet via WiFi without a problem, but the S5, while indicating a strong WiFi signal, will be unable to bring up anything that requires internet connectivity. This happens everywhere, not just at home. I reboot the phone and that fixes it until the next time.

Nothing to do with Lollipop as it's been happening for quite a long time.

Back
Top Bottom