• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wi Fi turns itself on

kk13

I've got multiple issues with this phone and I'm ready to give it back to TMobile.
First, the WiFi turns itself on constantly. Even though I have all the settings shut off, including the smart network switch, in advanced settings the network notification is off, passpoint -off, wifi on during sleep -off, always scanning -off and of course the WiFi button itself -off.
So, why would my phone insist on turning the wifi on? It's especially annoying when the wifi signal is crap and I'm trying to play a live game , or watch videos. Thank goodness this lousy phone is only a backup.
Please, someone either help me fix this or its going thru TMo's front window.
Next issue, the overheating, why?
Another issue, external volume. Extremely terrible sound volume and seems to turn itself down, besides the pop up that warns me about listening at high volumes could hurt my ears permanently. Not with this lousy sound. What can be done about the sound (in case I don't use it as a throwing stone)
I know there was something else.
Oh well next time
I remember now. The stock browser sucks. It crashes all the time so I stopped using it completely. I use Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox and Puffin browsers.
Then there is the screen brightness, or should I say screen dullness or darkness? It is barely visible during daylight if outdoors.

If anyone has any idea how to fix any of these awful engineering flaws, respond to this. Please

Sounds like a lot to straighten out. How many apps do you have installed? If all of your settings are correct like you state maybe there is an app that is turning the WiFi on.

I never had a problem with the stock browser but I use Chrome so I can't really say much about that .

As far as screen brightness goes I ended up getting the matte glare resistant screen protectors and they make a huge difference in being able to see outside in the sun . When you have the battery saver function on it does lower the screen brightness output so make sure you don't have it activated when you are ouside .( I think when the battery gets below 15% it automatically turns itself on ) .

I was able to disable the popup for the sound warning in the settings but that only comes on when you plug headphones in and you are saying it is problem with external sound . There are EQ settings in the stock audio you can adjust but I'd have to look in my settings to see where I found them and post it later. The external speaker is on the back of the phone so it makes a big difference if you just keep it elevated a little when watching a video or playing music. Also check to see if you have the motion control settings off in the settings menu.

After you check your settings reboot the phone . Leave it off for about ten seconds then turn it back on to free up some RAM. It akso helps to hit the menu button every once in awhile and close any apps running in the background. Hope this helps a little but I would need more information on what apps you have installed to really be able to help with a lot of the problems you are having .

Here are some of the sound settings you can check out and see if it makes a difference. I'll post screen shots to make it easier to follow. Go into Settings and look at the following .... For the music option you have to scroll all the way to the bottom under the Sound setting.

Attachments

• 1433695891349.jpg
    1433695891349.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 70
  • 1433695904982.jpg
    1433695904982.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 151
  • 1433695928403.jpg
    1433695928403.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1433695972925.jpg
    1433695972925.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 1433695988032.jpg
    1433695988032.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 66
Hey, Biggdogg
Thanks for your input. I know you spent some time writing that info out and posting the screenshots as well. It is very much appreciated.
Just to let you know, I'm not a phone a phile (couldn't think of a better name LOL) but, I am very knowledgeable about my devices. I have been playing with my Android devices, rooting, changing to custom ROMs, etc... since my Captivate and that is probably five years ago and about six phones. All Android, all Samsung Galaxy. So, I know the settings pretty well I like to think but, always looking to learn something new.
Now, with this Avant, it is not rooted. I have it as a second phone and it does get used quite a bit. I have my own business and I have my S5 for most of the things I do and it is my main phone.
The various problems I'm having with the Avant are strange indeed. Because, as I've said, all the settings, for sound, brightness, wifi, and motion are OK. I'll take some screenshots and attach to here.
The browser is not a huge concern. It's more of a bewilderment as to why the good people at Samsung would let it be released with a browser that doesn't work?
That and the overheating should have been enough to rethink the release.
Now, about the wifi and the possibility of an app turning it on could be the cause. It did run through my mind but. I might be able to narrow down which apps may be, or do have the permission to turn wifi on, I wouldn't know how to keep it from happening unless the menu in the app had a setting. Other than that it would mean uninstalling the app. My only issue with that would be that I don't have a lot of frivolous apps on any of my phones and I try to keep a tight leash on the ones that I can control. Especially with my rooted phone.
No, you wanted to know what apps I have installed. How do you want to know? A list? Screenshots of the drawer? Or of the app manager lists?
About the sound settings and your input. I haven't had time to look into it yet. I just today received the email notice about your response. It was in the spam folder of my email. So I'll see what may happen with that but, I have to say I don't mess with the music sound / equalizer on this phone much because I rarely have ever played music on this device.
I will stop now so that you aren't overwhelmed. Plus I have things to do. Let me know about how you would like me to let you know what apps I have and any other questions.
Screenshot_2015-06-12-15-38-41.png
Screenshot_2015-06-12-15-38-47.png
Screenshot_2015-06-12-15-38-30.png
Screenshot_2015-06-12-15-39-18.png

One thing I noticed from the screen shots you provided is that Mute/Pause is turned on under the Motions and Gestures setting. This will pause any media that is playing, music, videos, etc if the phone is turned over while the screen is on . You might want to turn that option off being that the speaker is on the back and you get much better sound when the phone is face down. It could even effect it while you are holding it due to the orientation sensors so this could be effecting the sound. I will reread your posts again and get back to you on the other issues as soon as possible. I'm going to use the stock browser for awhile and see if I can replicate any of those problems too. Hopefully I can get back to sometime this evening.

I have a couple more settings for you check as far as the WiFi turning itself on . Before going through the trouble of trying to chase down an app that is activated it check these settings under the WiFi option / Advanced settings . I believe you said you had the smart network switch off but I wasn't sure so I included it anyway. The " Always allow scanning " option maybe giving apps the ability to turn the WiFi on . Check that in advanced settings. I also am including a screen shot of the motion controls that you may want to disable to help with the sound . I am using the stock browser and I haven't had any problems yet. Believe it or not I think I actually like it. I will keep using to see if anything changes. What are the conditions when the phone overheats ie, is it charging , are Multiple apps run, etc? . Always remember to clear active apps every now and then with the Hard Key Menu button / Recent App button to free up Ram too.

Attachments

• 1434204552762.jpg
    1434204552762.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 1434204622327.jpg
    1434204622327.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 99
Okay, I turned off the pause / mute switch in motions and gestures. I also set the Adapt sound settings by running the sound test for headphones with the beeps.
As to the overheating. It usually gets very hot when charging and also if I have a game or a large app running and not necessarily when its being played but when I have a game or app open and it's just waiting for me to start using the device. I try to close all the apps that are running or waiting to be used as much as possible. Probably more than most people.
The wifi dilemma - hahaha
I never turn on the always scan button. Never have, never will. I've no use for it.
Browser - it's been so long since I've used it I forget exactly what or when if it was specifically during one time or certain situations. It would just force close itself on a regular basis, but not regular as in like clockwork at certain times or anything. It was just regularly random. You could count on it to stop a few times while browsing and it would drive me crazy every time.
I can't think of any other thing that we've covered. That's good for now.

Yes, there is the possibility of it just being that. A bunk phone. It happens.
On a different note, just to bring up something that bunk phone made me think of. My S5 finally had the USB port door break off. It actually lasted longer than I thought it would. That was the first thing I brought up to the salesperson at TMo when I bought it. Was that the door was a bad idea and it would never last and I couldn't believe they would have a door that hangs in the way of the plug and cord and that was so small and attached by that thing posing as a hinge. I read in a forum somewhere that it wasn't being covered by Asurion because they weren't considering it a defect in workmanship. That they say it's a user wear and tear or something. They offered to repair the door at a cost of $200.00 and as another option they (TMo Customer Support or Asurion I don't remember which) suggested that owners of phones with broken doors could most likely find a door on eBay for about $25 and then have a independent repair shop install the new door for probably around $75 or replace the whole shell for about $150.
Awfully nice of them to basically say you're screwed and we aren't willing to back up some design flaw but we give you permission to get raped by a private cell phone repair guy and someones cousin who works for Samsung and steals doors and sells them on eBay for 5000% markup.
Without the door, I believe Samsung was now falsely advertising that key selling point of the S5 being water and dust tight. Without that door you could drive a Smartcar into the USB port. Hahaha
I just wanted to hear your take on that door issue if you have any thoughts on it at all.
Regards
Ken

Back
Top Bottom