• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi Calling - Android Phone

johnbil

Lurker
I have problems sending & receiving calls on my cell phone from inside my home (Aluminum siding exterior). Things are fine outside and in other buildings. My carrier says that nothing can be done from their end.

Someone suggested that using ‘wifi calling’ (with my present phone #) on my home’s wireless network while indoors as a possible solution. Can this be used for this purpose? If so, how? I do not see the settings on my phone to enable it.

John

Sony Experia E5 F3313
Android 6.0

I have problems sending & receiving calls on my cell phone from inside my home (Aluminum siding exterior). Things are fine outside and in other buildings. My carrier says that nothing can be done from their end.

Someone suggested that using ‘wifi calling’ (with my present phone #) on my home’s wireless network while indoors as a possible solution. Can this be used for this purpose? If so, how? I do not see the settings on my phone to enable it.

John

Sony Experia E5 F3313
Android 6.0

WiFi calling or GAN(Generic Access Network) with your current phone number must be supported by your carrier network. And if they don't support WiFi calling, then nothing can be done. I believe it's mainly carriers in North America, and some UK and European carriers support WiFi calling. I don't think there's WiFi calling at all in Asia. Also you need to have a phone that supports WiFi calling with that carrier.

Sony Xperia E5 I don't know much about, but who is your carrier, and did they supply that phone? If we have that info, we might be able to give you more definite answers.

Last edited:
The carrier is U.S. Mobile. The phone is a Sony Experia E5 F3313, which I bought on my own. I live in the USA.

Apparently your carrier does support WiFi calling, so I guess it's probably your Sony that doesn't, given it didn't come from US Mobile.
https://www.usmobile.com/blog/what-is-wifi-calling/

As I understand with WiFi calling(GAN), you usually need to have a phone that was supplied by your carrier.

WiFi calling is not something I've ever come across in person, only read about it on AF mostly.

John

Sony Experia E5 F3313
Android 6.0
Hangouts dialer?

Back
Top Bottom