• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi connection drops - "signin" required.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy J1 (running Android 4.4.4) and am having difficulty getting the WiFi to work properly.

I have configured it and got it to connect (including configuring the proxy settings) nad it works for a minute or two but has a warning "Sign into Wi-Fi network". After a minute or two it disconnects saying there was a timeout with the Wi-Fi signin. When it has disconnected, I simply select the wireless network and select "connect" and it works again for a minute or two.

I don't understand what this sign-in is. The WiFi connection works properly (until it drops) and no other device (Android or otherwise) requires a sign-in. When I select the "Sign into Wi-Fi network" message, it simply loads "www.google.com" in the browser (there is nothing that allows me to "sign in" in any way).

What is this error, and how do I tell it to go away without losing my WiFi every minute or two.

Thanks in advance.

What's the actual WiFi network are you using, home WiFi or something else? As restaurant, hotel, library, shopping mall, municipal, etc. WiFi networks frequently have landing pages, sign-in/login pages, ad pages, paywalls, etc. Corporate or academic WiFi, you might have to install their WAPI certificate supplied by admin, or may have to get your device's MAC address registered and authorized by admin.

Last edited:
Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones