• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will screen end up holding prime back(resolution )?

tmaxey1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
I am considering the prime to replace my ipad1 and I keep hesitating to pull the trigger. Now I am not a person that usually waits for tech since its a cycle that never ends in a way.

However there are generations of tech trends that sometimes are worth waiting for. For example the suckers that bought an iPhone 3gs weeks before the iPhone 4 was released....bad timing. Or the people buying the HTC hero weeks before the evo 4g was released....bad timing..

With the somewhat substantiated rumors of ipad 3 2500x1600 display with quad core and Samsung,Acer and others rumored release of equal or slighlt less 1900x1200 screens coming shortly will Prime buyers be feeling remorse way before they should? Is owning a tablet for 2 months before something significantly better comes out just bad timing?

I know the don't wait argument. But the flip side is the do wait arguement.

A few areas where I debate this.
1. Will Samsung being the strongest android player releasing a retina level display shift app development to that resolution?
2. If apple releases that display then of course it will. Developers develop first for ipad with very few exceptions.
3. Does an app running at this higher resolution have to take up 2 to 4 times the file size? With 720p games already pushing a gig of memory will the retina equivalent be 2-4 gigs? That would hold back how many apps you could store.
4. Does this resolution cause the browser to struggle and shrink everything down? I'm sure they will have an option of zooming.. but could this slow down the process?
5. With so many changes and developers on sitting on the sidelines with android will have tablets with several different screens hold back development?

We probably all agree that if apple released the product it will run smooth ect. I am sick of them and don't want to buy anymore iproducts. But I will give them credit as well.

Just some thought. I am a display geek. I have 4.5 super amoled plus phone. Upgraded dell xps 17 to 1080p screen, have a 60 inch led TV and may buy that 80 incher just released. So I appreciate displays. :)

2500x1600 display on next ipad?

really...

if the ipad 3 had a screen of that resolution then i will eat crow.

why for the love of god would apple put a screen resolution that high into a 10 inch screen when tv's don't go that high in general... would be so much cost for minimal gain.

Plus most consumers have a thing for the whole 1080p resolution with most things right now so why would they bother with a screen that high a res whet they can just market a 1080p screen easier and probably to better effect.

MAYBE we might see the 1st 1080p screens around the end of the year but thats debatable.

+ on a screen this small the difference won't be that big so id hardly call it holding the Prime back.

and once again if the ipad 3 has a 2500x1600 desplay I WILL SERIOUSLY EAT CROW?

Upvote 0
I was concerned about these aspects as well, and I've been making myself wait for a quad core before I buy a tab (which has been killing me)! I've decided to buy the Prime b/c it looks amazing and bc of the dock. You're not going to get a better keyboard option with anything else.

Also, your question about app resolution and compatibility is a good question that I would like to see answered too.

Upvote 0
Acer's Tegra3-based Iconia A700 is rumored to release in March with a 1920x1200 resolution.

Acer Iconia Tab A700 with Ice Cream Sandwich slated for launch at CES

Acer?s A700 Tablet Detailed: Quad-Core Tegra 3 SoC and 1920x1200 Screen - Softpedia

Debating returning my Prime (being delivered today) and waiting for this since it appears, sadly, that Asus will do nothing about its aluminum backplate causing wifi and GPS reception issues. Although I was glad to hear it'll get ICS on Jan 12, trading unlocking the bootloader for a voided warranty is no fun either.

Upvote 0
I think that over the next year 1080 is going to be the minimum on most tablets. I debated waiting for higher res screens, but I already held off on the Original transformer for the Prime, can't wait forever. I'll upgrade in a year or two if I really use it as much as I'm planning, and get whatever screen size we are at then.

Upvote 0
I don't see why you need a resolution much bigger than the Primes on a 10 inch screen.

I agree that one would not "need". But these are luxury items. Need doesn't really play into it that much.

When phones were all 800x480 and iphone4 came out and upped the resolution we could all say why does one need 320 ppi on a 3.5 inch screen. And its a great point.....until you see the screen resolution and you want it..

I'm still up in the air. I really wish Asus would have given us at least the 1080p screen.

Is more resolution better? Are their real drawbacks to higher resolution displays? As much as quad core is nice, how often are all 4 cores running? What percentage of the day to day task are you running from the 5th companion core? I don't know.

Upvote 0
2500x1600 display on next ipad?

really...

if the ipad 3 had a screen of that resolution then i will eat crow.

why for the love of god would apple put a screen resolution that high into a 10 inch screen when tv's don't go that high in general... would be so much cost for minimal gain.

Plus most consumers have a thing for the whole 1080p resolution with most things right now so why would they bother with a screen that high a res whet they can just market a 1080p screen easier and probably to better effect.

MAYBE we might see the 1st 1080p screens around the end of the year but thats debatable.

+ on a screen this small the difference won't be that big so id hardly call it holding the Prime back.

and once again if the ipad 3 has a 2500x1600 desplay I WILL SERIOUSLY EAT CROW?

This info has been floating around the net for a while now (although with varying figures for the actual resolution). Here is an article today about this very topic:

Mac News: iPad: Will iPad 3 Sport a Sharper Image?

~Gary

Upvote 0
My Galaxy Nexus 1280x720. That's almost the same as the Transformer Prime. I love the way the Gnex Screen looks.

Yeah I agree Nexus screen looks great, but the Prime's screen is over twice as big and wont look as good as the Nexus because of the bigger screen.

I think the screen will be good enough for most and certainly for me. But also I am never opposed to getting better products. I think a 1080p screen on a tablet would be perfect, but for now 720p is pretty nice.

Upvote 0
You know what I mean when I say need. If you want to play that card, you don't NEED a tablet at all.

The screen on the Prime is fantastic, sounds like you are just looking for reasons not to like it or trolling.

Why so insecure and defensive. In fact why even chime in to a topic that you don't find value to discuss? You could have just read it and moved on. But instead you offered nothing of value. No insight. No support. Just an empty statement that one does not need better resolution on a tablet. The topic was posted with good points and areas of concern. From hidef file size, development issues.

And I don't come here to have other people who think exactly like me rub my back. I come to get insight into some areas of concern from other people also interested in this tablet.

Sorry if having someone wonder if the last generation screen would make this tablet age quickly in the coming months is such a sore spot that you classify the dialogue around this topic to be trolling.

Upvote 0
Why so insecure and defensive. In fact why even chime in to a topic that you don't find value to discuss? You could have just read it and moved on. But instead you offered nothing of value. No insight. No support. Just an empty statement that one does not need better resolution on a tablet. The topic was posted with good points and areas of concern. From hidef file size, development issues.

And I don't come here to have other people who think exactly like me rub my back. I come to get insight into some areas of concern from other people also interested in this tablet.

Sorry if having someone wonder if the last generation screen would make this tablet age quickly in the coming months is such a sore spot that you classify the dialogue around this topic to be trolling.

On a 10 inch screen any increase in screen resolution over the Prime's 1280x800 will be miniscule. If that is a concern for you then will likely never be happy with current tech because you will always be looking for the next best thing. Will 32gb or even 64gb be enough? In a year 120gb might be standard, will that hold the Prime back? There is always gonna be something better.

I am not insecure or defensive. When you try to tell me that "one would not "need". But these are luxury items. Need doesn't really play into it that much." Well of course. All you NEED is food, water, and shelter. It's a figure of speech and you knew what I meant when I said it.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
On a 10 inch screen any increase in screen resolution over the Prime's 1280x800 will be miniscule. If that is a concern for you then will likely never be happy with current tech because you will always be looking for the next best thing. Will 32gb or even 64gb be enough? In a year 120gb might be standard, will that hold the Prime back? There is always gonna be something better.

I am not insecure or defensive. When you try to tell me that "one would not "need". But these are luxury items. Need doesn't really play into it that much." Well of course. All you NEED is food, water, and shelter. It's a figure of speech and you knew what I meant when I said it.

Well that reply is much better and you actually added some insight into why you dont think screen resolution increases would make a difference. Cant you see how your first reply was just lacking anything that adds to the topic? Just to say "you dont need higher than 1280x800" really doesnt add anything to the discussion.

Even though the screen is only 10 inches I cant help but wonder how doubling the resolution is something that cant be noticed.

Of course tech will always get better. And I agree that waiting in some cases doesnt make sense because you will always be waiting. However, if if you thought like this you may have bought an original Transformer about a month or 2 ago and now you would be wishing you would have waited. Tech evolves in generations. Phones, Tablets, Laptops, ect. What I am concerned about is this Prime being released right on the verge of the true next generation. I guess for some screens are not as important as they are for others. Some people on here have fits because of the GPS. For me personally I dont care about the GPS. I wont use it and it will be turned off anyway. However, the screen is as important as the processor. It is in use non stop.

What a wonder is the development, media and app quality and file size, ect may possibly hold super high res screens back. I do not know the answers and was curious to hear other insights into this.

All that said I still think the transformer prime is an excellent tablet and would recommend it to my friends.

I am just gun shy because I know how I will feel if I walk into Best buy in March and they have 4 tablets with screens with amazing resolution I am going to be kicking myself. The samsung rumored tablet with the 11.6 inch screen is looking interesting.

I said you sounded insecure and defensive because you decided to call me a troll because I was wondering if this tablet will feel dated too quickly due to the last generation screen.

When I bought my phone I realized that higher res screens would soon be out. In fact a have the Infuse 4g with the Super Amoled plus 4.5 inch screen. I knew the Galaxy S2 with the dual core would be out in a month or 2, however I dont enjoy gaming on a 4 inch screen where my thumbs take up much of the screen. So I didnt care if higher res screens or dual core would soon be released since the Higher Res wouldnt look better to me than the Super Amoled Plus. And the dual core doesnt matter unless you are a gamer on phones.

Just a spec to debate timing on. Just like buying a dual core tablet today would be a mistake because everything will be quad core in the next month or 2. Will this screen put the Prime in this category?

Upvote 0
As a Galaxy Nexus owner (and I also had a Rezound for a while), I can say that the difference in the screen is noticeable... the new phones are beautiful. That said, here's my take on the prime screen:

1) For the current generation of tablets, its great.

2) I bought this tablet with games in mind, and frankly, games are going to run smoother at the current resolution than a tab with the same tegra 3 chip, but a bigger resolution.

3) The keyboard dock is still a differentiator... and its hard to beat the form factor of the prime + dock. (Assuming here that others like the Acer in the near future will not have a dock, though I can't speak on this for certain).

Just my 2 cents. :)

Upvote 0
Just a spec to debate timing on. Just like buying a dual core tablet today would be a mistake because everything will be quad core in the next month or 2. Will this screen put the Prime in this category?

Well then all animosity aside... Perhaps I was just so blown away at the quality of the Primes screen that I can't imagine it being much better (at least not on a 10 inch screen).

Upvote 0
As a Galaxy Nexus owner (and I also had a Rezound for a while), I can say that the difference in the screen is noticeable... the new phones are beautiful. That said, here's my take on the prime screen:

1) For the current generation of tablets, its great.

2) I bought this tablet with games in mind, and frankly, games are going to run smoother at the current resolution than a tab with the same tegra 3 chip, but a bigger resolution.

3) The keyboard dock is still a differentiator... and its hard to beat the form factor of the prime + dock. (Assuming here that others like the Acer in the near future will not have a dock, though I can't speak on this for certain).

Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks for your reply. I also wondered about practicality of gaming in super high resolutions. I do agree that even tegra 3 couldn't handle the kind of resolution apple seems to be pushing for ipad 3. At least not the 3d type games. Maybe super high Res physics games like angry birds would look great. I also wonder if file sizes would get out of control large if they made is that high Res or graphically intense. Having 6gig file sizes for a game isn't practical at this point.

Now I am assuming shadowgun in its current state would still run just as smooth it just wouldn't on a higher Res screen. It would just stay in 720p Res. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Correct me if I am.

Upvote 0
Well then all animosity aside... Perhaps I was just so blown away at the quality of the Primes screen that I can't imagine it being much better (at least not on a 10 inch screen).

The Prime may have a fantastic screen, but it has a fantastic screen at that resolution.

I hate to be rude, but I kind of found it offensive that you so declaratively stated that anyone wanting anything more was just seeking out needless luxury.

I, myself, read all of my textbooks on my tablet (a Samsung GT10.1 I sold for my Prime). Are you telling me that the text I spend hours reading every single day won't be sharper and easier to read with a higher resolution? Seriously? I just got a new Nook Simple Touch--which I love--and the text on it looks great, but you're a fool if you think that higher resolution eink screen wouldn't also offer sharper & more readable text.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones