• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wireless charging question

thequeenscheese

Android Expert
i recently purchased a Sony xsp n1bt car head unit which utilises a smart phone for its front panel and controls, it advertises wireless charging also, so I bought a Samsung official back and charger for my sgs5 and it won't charge it ( all works fine with charging pad) so I'm gonna guess it is designed for the Sony xperia phones.

my question is as the head units charging magnet (or whatever it is) is inline with side/edge of the phone when it's in place and the sgs5s back is the charging receiver can this be adapted/modified, for example extending the metal plate in the rear of the sgs5s rear cover so it comes closer to the position of the head units charger part?

I'm not 100% sure how this tech works tbh so I can make the educated guess it will work..

link to the unit, http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xsp-n1bt

thanks for any help..

I looked at the link and if that's the head unit you purchased, i don't see where it is compatible with Qi (wireless) charging. it says ...

Charge while you drive
A high current 1.5A battery charges your smartphone with a compact USB cable.

it has a wireless charger for the Sony phones nr the buttons at the bottom which will line up with the side of a Sony z1/z2 Rex when it's in the cradle , do these phones implement wireless charging (qi) as the Samsung does?, if so can't the contact points be extended using a conductive like foil in contact with one or both metal contact points on the charger and in the back of the phone?.

I know my phones qi isn't essentially compatable but is the tech adaptable in this way? in my mind it's logical that tinfoil or similar should conduct the electricity (presuming electricity is how this works) closer to the point on the head unit.

I think you are mixing technologies here. While the Z1/Z2 do implement Qi charging, this isn't it. What this device seems to do is connect to charging pins on the phone that were perhaps put there to use a sony desktop or car cradle. Qi charging uses magnetic fields and can't be extended with a wire. You have to align the coils. As far as i can see, this head unit doesn't have that technology. It may be connector-less, but it's not Qi compatible. Sorry.

that's what was after its just a magnet and x2 contacts , altho I bet one of the stick on receivers could be reversed and connected then stuck behind the where the phone goes but I doubt I'll bother with that, it will be easier toget a Sony phone on next upgrade..

Back
Top Bottom