• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wondershare MobileGO app stopped working after Android 9 update

XL2 Pixel

Lurker
I recently updated to Android 9.0 Pie.

I soon noticed that my licensed Wondershare MobileGo app won't run. It comes up with a pop-up saying "app keeps stopping" or words to that effect. I have let the app look for updates, I have reinstalled and uninstalled and reinstalled the app after a reboot but the problem remains.

I tried to go to the Wondershare MobileGo forum but the page errors out with a database error. See thumbnail of the Wondershare forum error.
MobileGo error.jpg
Is there anything I can do to get the app working? I'm guessing I may need to wait an unknown length of time until Wondershare updates their app or, am I simply screwed?

Anyone else having this problem?

I really like MobileGo's ability to connect via wifi to my home computer but to do that I need to be able to run the app on the phone. USB connecting still works since it does not need a partner app on the phone end. I hope I'm not being dragged back to the tethered usb cable world.

You'll need to wait for Wondershare to update their app to support Android 9 - be sure to send them an email to let them know you're having trouble: MGAsupport@wondershare.com

That said... my experience/impression of Wondershare isn't positive. Have you considered another app from a less-spammy/scammy developer like Airdroid?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid

I am not new to computers but I am new to personally owned smartphones. I tried several apps to connect my Android phone to my PC via wifi and the only one I was able to get working was MobileGo. I tried "Team Viewer" and I think the other one was "Spotify".

I am open to trying "Airdroid" if you recommend it. Since I am new to this world, will Airdroid ask me to allow lists of unexplained accesses to my phone. This is my biggest fear. I have installed a few apps but they always seem to ask for permissions to access features etc. I understand that they need certain permissions but they don't explain them and I can easily imagine rogue apps doing bad things to me and/or my phone.

Can I pretty much trust any app from a certain source, like Google Play? Or is it buyer beware for all apps?

Can you tell me what is "spammy/scammy" about MobileGo? Perhaps I'm naive but I've been running it for about 8 months under Android 8 (Oreo) and did not notice any bad behavior. Is there something going on in the background that I need to know about?

For what it's worth, I tried to contact Wondershare support using the email address you provided and it bounced back with this message saying "(MGAsupport@wondershare.com) doesn't exist". See text below. Looks like they're hiding or disconnecting from "MobileGo" support.

"Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; xxxxxxx@gmail.com (my email address)
Arrival-Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
X-Original-Message-ID: <011a01d43895$53546770$f9fd3650$@GMail.com>

Final-Recipient: rfc822; MGAsupport@wondershare.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mxw.mxhichina.com. (198.11.189.243, the server for the domain wondershare.com.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 RCPT (MGAsupport@wondershare.com) doesn't exist
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 07:51:50 -0700 (PDT)"

Last edited:
Ah ShenZhen WonderShare Technologies Co. Ltd. Can you speak Chinese? You might get a quicker response from their support.

WonderShare's phone number +86 755 86117717

Last edited:
I am open to trying "Airdroid" if you recommend it. Since I am new to this world, will Airdroid ask me to allow lists of unexplained accesses to my phone. This is my biggest fear. I have installed a few apps but they always seem to ask for permissions to access features etc. I understand that they need certain permissions but they don't explain them and I can easily imagine rogue apps doing bad things to me and/or my phone.

You know of course that all installed software on Windows has full access to everything, including all your private data, and there is no concept of restricted permissions, unlike Android

Unfortunately I'm only fluent in Northeastern Mandarin and Guan dialects. Only kidding, no, I don't speak Chinese but I did work on my Chinese 4X4 once!

You know of course that all installed software on Windows has full access to everything, including all your private data, and there is no concept of restricted permissions, unlike Android

Windows is different, you have firewalls and VPN's if you want. You can definitely tweak permissions but you'll probably get into trouble most of the time.

I guess I'm just more familiar with trusted software and software you need to beware of with Windows. I wish everyone was on Unix based platforms, it's a lot more secure.

Nothing is totally protected. My real concern is not knowing what the bad software (app) is.

I don't have any experience with the MobileGo application - it may be fine. I just know that we've had a lot of spammers post on this forum pushing Wondershare products as the cure-all for everything from recovering corrupted MP3s to recording calls to spying on kids/spouses to athlete's foot (probably). That hasn't painted the company in a positive light from where I'm sitting in my moderator hat, and the fact that the email address they have listed on the Play Store bounces emails adds to that impression of shadiness IMHO.

If you gave us a bit more detail about what you want to accomplish by connecting to your phone over Wi-Fi (remote control, casting, file transfer, etc) we might be able to help you find the best solution for your needs. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll be stuck waiting for Wondershare to fix their app.

I don't have any experience with the MobileGo application - it may be fine. I just know that we've had a lot of spammers post on this forum pushing Wondershare products as the cure-all for everything from recovering corrupted MP3s to recording calls to spying on kids/spouses to athlete's foot (probably). That hasn't painted the company in a positive light from where I'm sitting in my moderator hat, and the fact that the email address they have listed on the Play Store bounces emails adds to that impression of shadiness IMHO.

If you gave us a bit more detail about what you want to accomplish by connecting to your phone over Wi-Fi (remote control, casting, file transfer, etc) we might be able to help you find the best solution for your needs. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll be stuck waiting for Wondershare to fix their app.

Primarily, I paid for the MobileGo app and I rarely buy any software. Maybe that is why they aren't spamming me?

I bought MobileGo because it connected flawlessly (using a secure QR scan) and I had a graphic representation of the videos and pictures on my phone from my PC's desktop through the Host's version of the MobileGo app. It also gave me an easy view to the relatively cryptic file structure on the smartphone. Granted, this "file structure" may be simple for a smartphone guru but I have been working on computers for 50 years and don't get where they put things on the phone data-wise.

I tried other gui apps and they tended to disconnect or not connect and were therefore not reliable.

If MobileGo is out of the picture, I would be hesitant to spend any money on an app unless they are going to be around for a while. I hope "Team View" get their act together. A computer guru friend of mine loves Team View but it does not (or did not) support my Pixel 2 XL.

Windows is different, you have firewalls and VPN's if you want. You can definitely tweak permissions but you'll probably get into trouble most of the time.

I guess I'm just more familiar with trusted software and software you need to beware of with Windows. I wish everyone was on Unix based platforms, it's a lot more secure.

Nothing is totally protected. My real concern is not knowing what the bad software (app) is.

There are VPNs and firewall apps for Android of course. No Root Firewall is often recommended here on AF.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

And for a VPN, I use ExpressVPN myself, mainly because I'm in China.

There are VPNs and firewall apps for Android of course. No Root Firewall is often recommended here on AF.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

And for a VPN, I use ExpressVPN myself, mainly because I'm in China.

Would you do a favor for me?

Since you are in China and I assume speak Chinese would you please call the number you previously listed for WonderShare and tell them the issue and ask if they are working on it or not?

WonderShare's phone number +86 755 86117717

Back
Top Bottom