• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I recently got my Android and the first thing I started doing on it was looking for gaming apps. I found a few that were pretty cool, but I came across one I really liked so I wanted to do sort of a review on it. I did a little research and the following is what I found. The game is a free game called Word Crank.

About the Game

Bucket shaped bricks falling from the sky that disappear when you form words from them sounds like a nightmare that you might have after eating one too many tamales on Mexican food night. However, that is the concept behind the game Word Crank, a word game released for the Android phone platform, with an iPhone version coming soon.

In Word Crank, bucket shaped bricks, with letters on each, fall from the top of the screen. Your goal is to correctly form words of a required length to make the bricks disappear. If a column of bricks reaches the top of the screen, the game ends and you lose. To aid you in your quest, special flaming bricks containing letters that are not as commonly used (J, V, X etc.), explode when they are used in words, taking out several other bricks in the process, and awarding you bonus points.

Grey bricks with no letters, called Grunge Bricks also fall from the top of the screen. These bricks can't be used in words, their only purpose is to take up space and push a column of bricks closer to the top.

Play Time

When the game starts you are greeted by a startup screen that looks like a jack-in-the-box with one of the signature bricks on the end of the spring instead of a traditional clowns head. On the screen you have four options, START begins a new game, OPTIONS brings you to the game options where you can manipulate the sound controls and set the game's difficulty to one of three settings (you can "go bananas" on the hardest setting), HELP brings up a page that explains goal and the bricks found in the game, and SCORES, which lists the high scores.
Once you select START, the game begins. Music begins to play and bricks start to fall from the top of the screen. In the upper left hand corner, the length of word you need to form with the bricks is displayed. You may only form words of the displayed length.

To form words, tap the brick that has the letter you want to select and it lights up. When you correctly form a word, the letters disappear, or when you form a word with a flaming brick, there is an explosion and several bricks, along with those that were in the word, are blasted into powder! Letters do not need to be near each other to form words from them, they can be anywhere on the screen.

When the game begins, bricks fall slowly from the sky and you are only asked to form words with a length of three letters. As the game progresses though, the bricks fall faster, forcing you to react more quickly. The word length also increases from three letters to four and five.

All of the game controls are simple and easy to understand, making it easy to jump into the game.

Game's Appeal

This game would be perfect for those that enjoy word games with the added challenge of making words as fast as they can, or for children and adults that want to strengthen their vocabulary. The gameplay feels like a hybrid between Tetris and Scrabble. Those that play games like Book Worm or any timed word game would probably enjoy Word Crank.

Word Crank's simple, engaging gameplay is its greatest asset. However, it possesses very clean graphics and nice background music that goes along very nicely with the rhythm of the game. Also the word of the day, which appears before the game begins, adds a nice touch.

Final Thoughts

This is a good, clean game that someone of any age can enjoy. It's a good way to kill a few minutes on a lunch break or an hour or two waiting for your next flight. You can download the game for free, or pay $0.99 and go "elite" and get the ad free version.

Word Crank is Sivart Technology's first game, and was developed by a brother and sister duo just starting out in the business! You can follow the link below to download the game.

https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones