• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

x10 2.1 update

tomb32

i know its now been moved from q4 into late q3 but just need to be cleared about multi touch functions and what we will be getting in the update

It's been confirmed that even with the update, the Xperia X10 won't get multi touch because the hardware can't support it, so it doesn't matter what updates are thrown at it :(.

On that note though, I also know that the X10 Mini, the screen/hardware IS capable of supporting multi touch but, SE have said they won't be enabling it, they didnt say why but, i'd say its because the X10 and possibly the X10 Mini Pro don't support it. - The screen is made by a different manufacturer for the X10 Mini compared to the X10 and X10 Mini Pro.

With regards to what it'll bring, well obviously Android 2.1, which will also mean more apps are compatible with the phone. Shortly after another update will be released to bring HD Video Recording support.

They haven't confirmed whether Live Wallpapers will be made available upon release of 2.1. I assumed it would but, have since found out, manufacturers may disable it, so idk :(. I probably wouldnt use it but, I hope they include it. I normally buy my phones sim free but this one I got on an 18 month contract :O.

It has not been confirmed. I called se and they said it is unsure, but its a possibility that they will have multi touch.

Actually....
Rikard Skogberg from the Sony Ericsson blog has said:
"However I have now gotten confirmation on the question of multi touch. As said earlier there’s no multitouch in X10 – and I also can confirm that it’s not only related to SW but also to HW. Despite this, for future updates of X10 we are of course working on other solutions for e.g. zooming" here: XPERIA X10 Launch & Consumer Research Program Started | Product Launch Blog

Harold de Kort, Communication’s Manager for Sony Ericsson has also said:
"Multi-touch will not be a feature in future updates for the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 because the device does not support multi-touch due to her software and hardware configuration. The operation and user experience of the phone will be further improved and Sony Ericsson will come with her own intuitive way of, for example, zooming in and out." Sony Ericsson puts final word in about X10 Multi Touch | Xperia X1

With regards to the video, it was later confirmed it was a flaw with Google Maps that allowed it to "look" like multi touch but, it was in fact a double tap :(. For users with the updated Google Maps, they couldnt replicate it.
Same link says about it, also read it quite a few other places.

Yeah I've seen that. I was particulary interested in the "inside man" for mobiles.co.uk confirming it did have it but, a few places later went on to say, that inside man, was wrong :(.

I haven't got the link now but, I was reading yesterday, someone for SE said last year, it did as well, until Rikard on the SE blog said it didnt. Then this guy went on to confirm what Rikard had said and that, when he'd initially said it, he didnt have all the facts himself and yeah, confirmed that what Rikard said was correct...the X10's screen doesnt support multi touch :(. Part of me's hoping they're wrong though :p but, I think, if it did support multi touch, not as many SE people would have said it didnt and would have confirmed multi touch as coming in an update, because it would bring more sales, some people wont get it because it doesnt have multi touch.

Back
Top Bottom