• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your phone does not have CSC version ?

Cabunag

Lurker
Got this Samsung Note 4 from E Bay sold as new, seems a genuine seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boxed-up...var=552428948312&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

When i use the the Samsung Phone info app this message come up in Refurbishment Check, this message appears

It looks like the firmware has been modified

WARNING Your phone does not have CSC version

Device usage counter
Headset connect-<root>
Charger connect =3830
S Pen detach=<root>

I have no idea what all that means, i got this phone because you can change the battery, have done must checks to see that its a genuine Model and not a Clone.

Any help would be great this is my first Smartphone, thanks for reading this.

There are three possibilities that I can think of.

First, this is a "gray market" phone not intended for sale in your country. This shouldn't cause a CSC error with the firmware, but might if it was trying to update through your carrier. Firmware versions wouldn't match.

Secondly, the seller was less that forthcoming and it was not a new device. It was either modified or it was refurbished.

Finally, the phone itself could have been shipped with corrupted firmware.

Assuming the phone works with your carrier and has no other problems, you will have the following issues. First, you will not be able to get any system updates or security patches. Even if the phone sees them as being available, without being able to verify your firmware, it will fail installation. You will also be up the creek without a paddle should it be necessary to restore your firmware with official Samsung tools. And it goes without saying, if it shows as modified, they won't honor a warranty.

Personally, I'd see if you could return it.

Got this Samsung Note 4 from E Bay sold as new, seems a genuine seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boxed-up-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-32GB-Unlocked-SIM-Free-Smartphone/253262469997?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=552428948312&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

When i use the the Samsung Phone info app this message come up in Refurbishment Check, this message appears

Device usage counter
Headset connect-<root>
Charger connect =3830
S Pen detach=<root>

I have no idea what all that means, i got this phone because you can change the battery, have done must checks to see that its a genuine Model and not a Clone.

Any help would be great this is my first Smartphone, thanks for reading this.

Many thanks for the reply
There are three possibilities that I can think of.

First, this is a "gray market" phone not intended for sale in your country. This shouldn't cause a CSC error with the firmware, but might if it was trying to update through your carrier. Firmware versions wouldn't match.

Secondly, the seller was less that forthcoming and it was not a new device. It was either modified or it was refurbished.

Finally, the phone itself could have been shipped with corrupted firmware.

Assuming the phone works with your carrier and has no other problems, you will have the following issues. First, you will not be able to get any system updates or security patches. Even if the phone sees them as being available, without being able to verify your firmware, it will fail installation. You will also be up the creek without a paddle should it be necessary to restore your firmware with official Samsung tools. And it goes without saying, if it shows as modified, they won't honor a warranty.

Personally, I'd see if you could return it.

Many thanks for the reply i can send it back no problem, it is new but came with no guarantee which would be normal for this type of phone its a shame it seems like a really nice phone, the battery that came with it was Kaput, would turn off if below 50% and use the camera, i already had bought another battery and it is ok now.

I added more info in another message see what you think, im inclined to take your advice and send it back. thanks..............................................................................................................................................................

Got this Samsung Note 4 from E Bay sold as new, a grey import i think was made for the US market not the UK, the original CSC code isATT, it says Firmwares CSC code is TGY and under active CSC Code ATT/TGY and under CSC Country USA.

I used the app Samsung Phone info and done a refurbished check and this message comes up

Device usage counter
Headset connect-<root>
Charger connect =3830
S Pen detach=<root>

Can anyone tell me what all that means, will i still be able to use phone in the UK and get updates, the phone was sold as new but no guarantee came with it, was from E Bay so ican return it was 235 Pounds a new one in the UK is about 400 Pounds, thank you.

If the phone was originally to be sold as an ATT branded device, it was surely locked to that carrier out of the box, new. My guess now is that to sell it in the UK, they modified the firmware to bypass the carrier lock somehow. I'm sure if you popped your sim in the first time and it told you it was locked, you would have sent it back right away.

Back
Top Bottom