• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Your phone does not support this file type (ppt)?

missemz

Lurker
Hey, so I installed the QuickOffice apps, which would apparently let me view ppt, excel, word files, etc. that are attached in emails, or are on my SD card.

I am trying to download a ppt file from my class website, (which I would normally do on my laptop anyways) just so that I can view it. My phone keeps telling me it doesn't support this file type, though, and I was wondering what the problem is, in the sense that, why can't it download it to the SD and let me view it with quick office?

ANy help is appreciated!

missemz, I'm looking at a PPT slide presentation on my phone as I type this. I side loaded it, via USB, from my computer to my phone. I placed it in the 'Documents' directory (I forget whether I created that directory or if an app created it) and had no problem at all viewing it.

I will note that a PPS document (also PowerPoint based) looked a bit flakey when opened with QuickOffice. The presentation I have in that format doesn't display some of the imbedded images, and some text appeared on top of other text.

So, just load the document via your computer.

I believe the better question is, how can we disable Android's check whether it has a helper app that can open the file or not during a download?

I've gotten the error twice. One was on a ZIP file (Hello! ASTRO can unzip!) and once was on an APK file (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... that's an Android pack file, typically an app, in this case it was Firefox Fennec...) so it's a pretty stupid feature when it doesn't work. Also, in both cases, it downloaded the whole file before deciding it didn't like it and tossing it overboard.

you can try a different browser to download. i use xscope without any issues downloading all sorts of files. I may be wrong but i believe i downloaded a few ppts from my school site with dolphin also. that may be an option to try

Back
Top Bottom