• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Youtube videos in lower quality using 3g/4g than when using Wifi

iTzKPanda

AF's resident panda
Hey guys.
I've been using Wifi at home mostly and that's where I usually watch the most vodeos on Youtube. However, my internet went down for a couple hours and I had to use 4g.

I started to watch a youtube video that is usually clear and HQ on Wifi but it looked pretty pixalated using 4g. It's not too horrible, but I'm just curious why this is.
And yes, i have the HQ button enabled on Youtube when I watch the video :)

Your cell tower is likely bottlenecking your data feed. Keep in mind that the tower has to service many phones in your area, and the wifi is likely a lot less busy. Also, cellular networks aren't really designed to push a heck of a lot of data, despite the fact that all the cell companies are selling smart phones.

Wifi, on the other hand, is all about moving lots of data...

This is also an issue with the You Tube App itself since the December build update. Lots of folks reporting issues with buffering and pixellations on several different versions of phones including the S2 and the S3.

I had the same issue while on 3g/4g, and had same issue on Wi-fi. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and no more issues.

Back
Top Bottom