• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Zenfone 5 Got Wet. Won't Stop Vibrating

Mariyan

Lurker
Hi!

I accidentally dipped my Zenfone 5 in sea water today. The dip lasted approximately 1-2 seconds, and between half an inch to a full inch of my phone got dipped ( my phone was covered with a leather case such as this one: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...irrel-Lines-Holster-Retailed-Package-Free.jpg, and the phone got dipped about up to the top of the strip meant to cover the speaker).

I immediately checked my phone, and it seemed to be working just fine; however, it started vibrating almost instantly. I panicked, and against my better judgment, I restarted the phone to see if it will turn on after being shut down. It did. The phone was locked, I was able to unlock it. I tested the camera function, it worked. I tested the sound settings, they worked, but the phone won't stop vibrating.

I quickly turned it off, but the phone just kept vibrating until the battery ran out.

My concerns are:

1. My phone's battery is non-removable. I tried to see if there's a way to get around to it, but I can't seem to find any tutorial on how to remove the battery, and I'm also a bit wary of causing more damage in the process if I tried it out myself. As much as possible, I want to exhaust other options before taking it to a service center. Do companies that sell phones with non-removable batteries have official advice on what to do on cases like this?

2. I read about dousing your phone in alcohol or freshwater if it got wet with seawater. My issue is, I'm not sure how extensive the damage or possible damage is. I'm almost certain the charging / micro USB port got wet, but I'm not sure if other parts got wet too (no visible wetness when I physically inspected the phone, but I'm not sure if water has found its way inside by "climbing up" the USB / charging port.

I searched the net to see if Zenfone 5 has any water damage indicator, but I can't find anything. I'm worried, that if I did douse my phone with water or alcohol, and the damage was not that extensive, I might end up damaging my phone more if I wet it on purpose.

3. For the meantime, I covered my phone with a thin plastic sheet, then buried it in a container filled with uncooked rice, but I'm worried that once I charged my phone, something might get tripped and my phone might stop working altogether.

Has anyone else experienced this before and was able to fix their phone simply by burying it under uncooked rice without removing the battery?

3. For the meantime, I covered my phone with a thin plastic sheet, then buried it in a container filled with uncooked rice
Wrapping your phone in plastic will slow the waters evaporation, I would remove the plastic and put it back in the rice. Whether or not a phone will work correctly is hard to say, sometimes they will, other times not.

Here is good advice on what to do when your phone gets wet (this might have been what you read):
http://androidforums.com/threads/so...et-what-can-you-do-to-try-and-save-it.815124/

Thank you for your advice!

I was torn between covering the phone or burying it bare because plenty of people mentioned putting it in a zip lock bag before burying it under uncooked rice (I don't have a zip lock bag, so I placed it inside a plastic bag like this one: http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/3...-defined-Size-for-super-market-or-freezer.jpg, and some people have warned against dust collecting inside your phone.

Uncooked rice, when touched, tend to leave this thin, whitish residue; so I was kind of worried that tiny particles (both the dust and small, broken grains) might get inside my phone. Does that kind of thing (tiny rice particles messing with your phone) actually happens or am I just worrying too much?

Sealing it in a Ziplock bag before putting it in rice wouldn't make sense because that would seal in the water. I've seen instructions saying to put a phone in a Ziplock bag that's already filled with rice, maybe what you read was just worded poorly.

But the phone must be in a container and in contact with rice, not in a separate bag, for the rice to absorb water.

With how much dust is in the air I wouldn't worry about rice particles.

I thought so too. I guess you were right.

Thank you! I followed your advice. I'll just wait for a couple more days to see what's going to happen.
Thank you very much for your time and assistance!

P.S.

I'm planning to dig up my phone tomorrow. I was worrying about the phone sort of exploding or frying when electricity starts entering the charging port in case the rice and silica gel didn't work (I don't really have much idea how electronics work, it's just what I imagined happening).

Someone mentioned that charging it through a power bank first might help because the power would be limited or something as opposed to plugging it directly to a power outlet where the power is unlimited or something like that (I'm not sure, the explanation was a bit vague and I don't know much about electricity).

Is that true? Will using a power bank really help avoid explosions or frying?

same as mine but whenever i charge my phone it's charging but it doesn't open, the last time i test it, it open for a few mins and it's still vibrating ,but when i started to restart it came back until it never open even charging and it's also stop vibrating how can i fix it?

Last edited:
I need serious help i my zenphone max wont stop vibrating i tried everything (maybe when i was worried my phone didnt respond soo i maybe'd charge it when I dropped my phone in the toilet it got 1/3 away form my phone then I panicked and got a towel after that i tried putting some alcohol then it made everything worst so i charge it because it wont respond when i press the power button after that i was relief then after a minute it started vibrating at first I didn't notice it then when i got out of the house i felt it i tried the rice thing and didnt work it made the vibrating even worst does it do that cause i dont know. i am thinking to go to the phone store let them fix it but i am looking for some tips to stop this vibration of my phone before i let this thing fix about the rice thing maybe my battery is full should i have to empty it before putting it in the rice cause it made the vibrating even louder) please help

Back
Top Bottom