• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Zipalign binary

exile1975

Does anyone have a zipalign binary that works for this phone? I've tried a few I've been able to track down, but they all spit out errors when I try using them.

Thank you for any help or direction

Zipalign and sqlite3 used to come with most cm ROMs, but I've only been able to find a working sqlite3, and no zipalign. Since I've been incorporating updates into my stock ROM I'd like to use a script to zipalign it all... Thanks for the reply tho.

I don't really see why that would be needed since the ROM should already be zipaligned. If you do any deodexing or theming then it would be needed.

I'm actually very surprised. It used to be (say around ICS) that many apps from the play store, and even my old Samsung ics ROM, didn't come zipaligned (some of it at least). I finally tracked down a working binary just now, and out of 314 apps I'm using only 1 wasn't zipaligned.

I'm actually very surprised. It used to be (say around ICS) that many apps from the play store, and even my old Samsung ics ROM, didn't come zipaligned (some of it at least). I finally tracked down a working binary just now, and out of 314 apps I'm using only 1 wasn't zipaligned.
Hmm, I didn't know that apps not being zipaligned used to be a problem. Could you edit the op and add a link to where you found the working binary?

For those only following a little bit and not sure about this feature in a current rom or in the future, Rom Toolbox Pro is a rooter's Swiss Army knife that includes zipalign along with other helpful stuff.

Check out "ROM Toolbox Pro"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.liberty.toolboxpro

Pricy but you get a lot.
Unfortunately ROM Toolbox Pro's Zipalign tool doesn't seem to work on the Avant. Its still worth the price though especially if you have more than one rooted android. Titanium backup also has problems with restoring system apps and 3c Toolbox doesn't work for odexing or deodexing. Probably something to do with Knox and the other security stuff hidden all throughout the stock ROM on this phone.

ROM toolbox pro doesn't include the binary. If you move the binary to system/xbin and give it 0,0 755 for permissions the script runs fine
I "think "installing the zipalign binary may also help with the odex/deodex in 3ctoolbox. I'm not sure at the moment but if I remember correctly you need zipalign to properly reintegrate the odex file...

Last edited:
Does this zipalign binary automatically zipalign everything at boot?
No, but it does let you run scripts that will, or use programs that do the same.
Note: some programs utilize their own binary that is usually a stripped down (not all commands built it) version.

For anyone who doesn't know how to use this binary, the way I got it to work was by opening the scripter tool included in ROM toolbox (lite or pro version will do) and running the zipalign apks script (execute as root).

I just installed busybox installer by jrummy and installed zipalign from the menu, swiped right and chose Zipalign APKs then Fix Permissions and rebooted.
Looks like I've got a new addition to the tools I use on my phone until now I just used sterricson busybox which gives you the newest version of busybox but doesn't include the zipalign binary.

I just installed busybox installer by jrummy and installed zipalign from the menu, swiped right and chose Zipalign APKs then Fix Permissions and rebooted.
I've owned the pro version of this busybox installer for a few years and never noticed this before. Thanks for pointing it out. It also has a binary installer for sqlite3 and zip which is nice. I'm really glad you made me have a second look.

sqlite3 must be for the PRO version only or I'm not seeing it. I might give v6 supercharger a try tonight, does it really make a difference?

Only problem with the zipalign binary from the busybox installer is the script I'm using to zipalign spits out errors with it. Guess I'll revert to the first one I tracked down.

Back
Top Bottom