• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Zombie SMS Messages

I have two related questions.

My first question relates to the two types of SMS messages my phone receives. One type of message, from individuals, appears as a notification in my status bar and can only be ready by opening the Messages app.

The other type of notification, which also says it's SMS, appears as a pop-up that has to be saved or canceled. These almost always appear to be from my carrier (Orange). They are similar to the system messages you can send in Windows. I'm guessing these are Push messages but when I click save, I don't seem listed under push messages.

I'm having a problem with the second type of message. I get the same message over and over, usually about prepaid carrier discounts, and neither canceling nor saving makes it go away. I've also noticed that my alert sound is continually getting reset. I turn it off and then I hear another prepaid discount message come in and find that the message alert sound is on again.

I've tried deleting all messages, clearing my message cache, and restarting. I took the phone to my carrier's office and they tried all of the same things, without success.

The problem started after my phone powered off overnight due to low battery. The messages themselves are useless. I can't click on them. Saving or canceling has no effect. There's no call to action. They simply make noise and make it impossible for me to navigate from the messages notification icon to my messages (I can only get to messages from the home screen icon).

Is there a separate service for the second type of SMS, from my carrier, that I can delete or cripple? I did not install any software from my carrier but I am wondering if this is a bug or malware. The constant resetting of the message notification sound makes me wonder.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,
Pete

Running 2.2.1

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones