• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Blade/Orange San Fran

AFAIK you wouldn't be able to get OTA updates like that no. But you can install a modded ROM from MoDaCo and have it running with the default software like it should be.

There are plenty of guides over on their forum to help you so I suggest you read them several times :)

Upvote 0
I have just bought an SF phone and seem unable to download an App from Market (Google). Picked a small free app to start but message is "staring downloading" but it never does.
have tried allowing WiFi (my router), data connection and GSM/WCDMA auto network mode but nothing makes any difference.

I did download an Orange App from their shop without problem so cannot work out what is wrong unless it is some devious plot by Orange!

Upvote 0
I inadvertently answered my own query by removing sim card and battery and then replacing them.
Lo & behold Google apps worked and I easily downloaded 2 of them.

Still finding it difficult to get to grips with WiFi settings and it often rejects wireless connections by saying checking them even when indicating all connected.
you might want to check out a custom ROM

Upvote 0
If anyone is having problems with mms, these are the settings i have used and work.

Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names

Menu>new apn

Name: 3
APN: three.co.uk
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS PROXY: <not set>
MMS PORT: <not set>
MCC: 234
MNC: 20
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: default

Menu>save

Put green dot in the radion button for the 3 apn

Then add an mms apn,

Menu>new apn

Name: 3 mms
APN: three.co.uk
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: http://mms.um.three.co.uk:10021/mmsc
MMS PROXY: mms.three.co.uk
MMS PORT: 8799
MCC: 234
MNC: 20
Authentication type: <not set>
APN type: mms

Reactions: dannymur
Upvote 0
Hi all could someone kindly advise please ive just brought the orange San Francisco II and tried the unlock Calculator put the code didn't work, I also download an App which gives you your IMEI number and unlock code, the unlock code was the same as the one i got from the calculator so I now it right but it comes back as unsuccessful ive now got 6 attempts left.

Could anyone kindly advise on this please.
Many thanks :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi all could someone kindly advise please ive just brought the orange San Francisco II and tried the unlock Calculator put the code didn't work, I also download an App which gives you your IMEI number and unlock code, the unlock code was the same as the one i got from the calculator so I now it right but it comes back as unsuccessful ive now got 6 attempts left.

The unlock calculator might not work for the OSF2. if you head over to the San Francisco 2 forum, the guys there might be able to assist: Orange San Francisco 2 (ZTE Blade 2) - Android Forums

:)

Upvote 0

The code is only for the original San Francisco, not the newer San Francisco II. You need to go to Modoco and do a little more work. It sounds difficult and it only is the first few times and especially if you never did anything like that before. The key is READ READ READ and READ some more, decide what files you need and download them, place them logically in folders on your desktop so you`re ready to start. Doublecheck you have the right files and all the ones you need before you even start. MAKE A LIST OF YOUR PRESENT EMEI NUMBER AND MAC NUMBER PLUS ANY OTHER NUMBERS BEFORE YOU START.

[HOW TO] Rooting Unlocking and De-Branding your ZTE Crescent [Updated Now Complete] - Android @ MoDaCo

IF you decide to swap the ROM then make sure the correct ROM (keep it zipped) is on your SD Card. With the SFII you need both the Cresent.zip and the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip on there. You must flash the Crescent.zip then the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip straight after it before rebooting the system (the phone). The kernel file realigns the keyboard as the Crescent.zip is used for the SFII and the Vivacity. Wait up to ten mins for it all to be put on the phone. You need to carry out the unlock before doing any of this though. You may even just stop after the unlock and take the battery out, then restart it. I did that but initially found it difficult to get back to the Restore screen to flash a new ROM.

http://ztecrescent.blogspot.com

The link above is an easier unlock, you do the same thing but its an hold your hand style Blog instead. If you use it ONLY DO THE UNLOCK, do not use the ROM as its an older one and also needs the correct kernel file. Better to go back to the earlier Modoco link and use it for the ROM change. Using the Crescent.zip and the SanfranciscoIIkernel.zip files. Their are others but this is the best choice for a first time ROM change.

Once your unlock is done, you either did the ROM flash or left it you`ll get more ideas of the available ROMS by using all the main Crescent area of the Modoco forum. Here is the link;

http://android.modaco.com/forum/578-zte-crescent-crescentmodacocom/

Good luck,

Steve

Upvote 0
Hello, I'm new here and I have a ZTE blade phone. I would like to know if there are any upgrades for android, since I still have android 2.1 I would like to ugrade it.
If there exists, which one do you advise, and how do you ugrade your phone?
Help is much apreciated :)

Use a TPT: Gen1 to Gen2 TPT Upgrade - xda-developers
That will wipe everything mind, make sure you have Google Sync enabled at the very least.

Then pick a ROM from here: ZTE Blade / Libra ROMs & ROM customisation - Android @ MoDaCo

Unofficial of course, but its fine, no offical update in much of Europe.

Reactions: kabashi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones