• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The OFFICIAL taking back the Captivate thread

I think the hesitancy people have with samsung is their promise of supporting the behold II , which was an android phone , and they didnt. Also the phone has been out outside US before it was released on ATT and Tmobile, and samsung never addressed the issue.

Yeah, maybe if I experienced the behold II situation I'd be hesitant also. I'm starting to wonder if they're stalling to release the fix with their Froyo build. Doing so would save them money in pushing a separate fix but who knows how much they would lose in returns.

Upvote 0
im just going to say it, i am tired of people crying. yes there is a gps problem, samsung admitted it, they gave an official statement saying they will fix it, i believe they said in september. if you cannot wait that long then by all means return it, dont feel the need to tell us all.

now part 2, from what i hear the mms problem is not from samsung its an att problem, go to att and tell them you cannot send mms and see if they can do anything, if not and you play to use it alot then by all means take it back, dont feel the need to tell us all.

and finally i have no clue what the contact grouping problem is, but if you use it alot and have a problem then by all means return it, do not feel the need to tell us all

People aren't crying. We're experiencing problems with our phones and letting them be known. We're letting Samsung know that they need to fix these in the future if they'd like to see more of our business.

Upvote 0
Here's "MY PROS":

iphone4: Front facing camera, workable gps, camera flash, Retina display, apps, iTunes

Captivate: Customization, Super AMOLED screen, 4 inches, live wallpapers, flash (2.2), micro sd, voice activated gps(when it works).

CONS

iPhone: antenna issues(not for everyone), limited customization, small screen, same basic OS for the past 4 years.

Captivate: GPS hit or miss, battery life/battery indicator (live wallpapers applied).

Again.....these are my pro/cons. I have no other issues with my captivate. GPS for me is not a big deal cause it still gives me directions and that's pretty much all I need.

Upvote 0
im just going to say it, i am tired of people crying. yes there is a gps problem, samsung admitted it, they gave an official statement saying they will fix it, i believe they said in september. if you cannot wait that long then by all means return it, dont feel the need to tell us all.

now part 2, from what i hear the mms problem is not from samsung its an att problem, go to att and tell them you cannot send mms and see if they can do anything, if not and you play to use it alot then by all means take it back, dont feel the need to tell us all.

and finally i have no clue what the contact grouping problem is, but if you use it alot and have a problem then by all means return it, do not feel the need to tell us all

Hehe

Upvote 0
The GPS is the only problem with my Captivate. The phone has been out for what? Three weeks? A phone series of this magnitude (with such a problem) will not be ignored by Samsung.

Still not enough to drag me over to Apple. No way in hell could you force me to use iTunes again.

Well technically it is almost three months since original galaxy s came out and still hasn't had a fix for it.will give them two weeks and see what happens other wise going to have to decide what to do

Upvote 0
...and further to my question above, I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE TAKING THEM BACK!!!

To those of you reading this who are offended by my outrage, I apologize.

To those of you reading this who agree with my sentiment, you understand why I lost my cool.

Besides, you're returning your Captivates, not Captivate's. Putting an apostrophe at the end of a word just because it has an "s" drives me nut's.

Upvote 0
Would I like it if my GPS worked better? Sure. Would I like it if I never had any sort of lag, for any reason? Absolutely. Am I going to return the phone over these things? Hell no. This is still the best (and most fun) phone I've ever had and if it never gets any "fixes" I'd still be content with it.

Some people will never be satisfied and will always find something to whine about. The good news (for the rest of us) is that they will eventually return their less-than-perfect devices, and will move on to other phones to whine about.

Reactions: Lostsoul and Jack45
Upvote 0
Besides, you are returning your Captivates, not Captivate's. Putting an apostrophe at the end of a word just because it has an "s" drives me nut's.

Atleast he's not referring to them as "Cappys" yet. If he does then I'm voting for an insta-ban.

chicknlil makes a very valid point. Let the rest of us enjoy this phone. Let the whiners walk.

Upvote 0
I just want to add one more thing about the GPS. There have been several people stating that this phone has already been out in Europe for three months, blah blah blah! If the people saying this had any understanding of what it means to mass produce and deliver a product they would know that the Captivate was already locked and loaded and it would have been implausible for Samsung to stop everything over a relatively minor issue. The location based services still work, it's just turn by turn that is really a problem.

I am fairly certain they were expecting to have some issues but decided that updating the phone after release made more sense than pushing back the release date for a couple of months. It would have cost them a whole lot more and caused a lot more people to skip over the Galaxy S altogether.

The update will come, they intend to push out 10 million of these phones a year. There is no way they are going to ignore this problem and if they were, they wouldn't have responded the way that they already have.

Upvote 0
I just returned my Captivate. I really wanted to love it and in a way, I did. I thought I could put up with not having GPS, but the idea that I spent the money that I did on a product that doesn't function 100%, kind of bothered me. I felt confident that Samsung would fix the issue, but I don't have the patience to wait it out. I read that the issue would be fixed in a matter of weeks, however, most felt that it would be months. I just decided to return it. The Captivate is an outstanding device with AMAZING potential (with a functional gps and froyo...oh boy). I drool at the mouth at the idea. BUT, like I said, I don't have the patience to wait on Samsung for a fix. Of course, the first thing I did when I got my new device was load up Google Maps and I had a fix in a matter of seconds (with 3 meter accuracy). What a weird feeling. Well, when Samsung fixes the Captivate or AT&T gets another high end Android device, I may be back.

Upvote 0
im just going to say it, i am tired of people crying. yes there is a gps problem, samsung admitted it, they gave an official statement saying they will fix it,
Protip: don't go into threads titled "taking my phone back" or similar if you don't want to hear people bitching about the phone.

And where did Samsung release an official statement saying they will *fix* the GPS issue? I only heard that they will *look* into it. They could simply say after looking into it that everything is in spec and everybody would be SOL. As of now, I have not seen an official "fix is coming" statement much less "we know what the issue is and are working on it" statement.

Upvote 0
I just returned my Captivate. I really wanted to love it and in a way, I did. I thought I could put up with not having GPS, but the idea that I spent the money that I did on a product that doesn't function 100%, kind of bothered me. I felt confident that Samsung would fix the issue, but I don't have the patience to wait it out. I read that the issue would be fixed in a matter of weeks, however, most felt that it would be months. I just decided to return it. The Captivate is an outstanding device with AMAZING potential (with a functional gps and froyo...oh boy). I drool at the mouth at the idea. BUT, like I said, I don't have the patience to wait on Samsung for a fix. Of course, the first thing I did when I got my new device was load up Google Maps and I had a fix in a matter of seconds (with 3 meter accuracy). What a weird feeling. Well, when Samsung fixes the Captivate or AT&T gets another high end Android device, I may be back.

Hey Simba, I see you went with the Bold. No waiting out for the Torch?

Upvote 0
My son loves his captivate, the battery life seems to be better than my wife's HTC Aria. He has been playing with it on and off throughout the day and the battery level is now 30% @ 8:00p, it was fully charged at midnight.

As for GPS I have a Garmin, so I could care less.

Messaging seem fine too, contact sync with Facebook is a little screwed up though.

I wish I had bought a Captivate instead of iPhone 4. iPhone is such a boring phone, but reliable and steady.

Reactions: Lostsoul
Upvote 0
Protip: don't go into threads titled "taking my phone back" or similar if you don't want to hear people bitching about the phone.

And where did Samsung release an official statement saying they will *fix* the GPS issue? I only heard that they will *look* into it. They could simply say after looking into it that everything is in spec and everybody would be SOL. As of now, I have not seen an official "fix is coming" statement much less "we know what the issue is and are working on it" statement.

There was a commitment made via either Twitter or FB and there is also a quoted statement made by Samsung to CNET.

Upvote 0
Here is a link to a statement from Samsung about the GPS issue.

Samsung Promises to Fix AT&T's Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant GPS Problems

I really like the Captivate a lot, it is a great phone with many upsides. I rely on my phone for Navigation for work. I suppose I could have invested in a stand alone GPS and stuck with the Captivate. Problem with that is, I have both an Aria and 3GS who have excellent navigation capabilities.

I hope to jump back into a Captivate, once the GPS issue has been addressed by Samsung.

Really enjoying the little Aria phone, it's become my primary phone. Side loaded Swype, great little phone....

Upvote 0
There was a commitment made via either Twitter or FB and there is also a quoted statement made by Samsung to CNET.
Here is the quote from CNET:

"Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our launched U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations," Samsung spokesman Kim Titus told CNET. "We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible."

I highlighted the PR speak. Nowhere does it say they know what the situation is. And if they don't know what the situation is, how can they provide a solution? It merely states that they are "evaluating the situation". Their update could simply be a statement such as "everything is performing to specs". Nowhere does it state that the update will be in the form of a firmware/software fix.

I find it *highly unlikely* that this issue is a surprise to them and that they didn't catch it in testing prior to the release nor after the release of the European models and prior to the U.S. models.

Like I said earlier, until they say "we have pinpointed the problem and the solution will be xxx" then all of this is a smokescreen. A fix *might* be coming. But to say a fix is *definitely* coming is not valid until Samsung explicitly says so.

Upvote 0
Actually, Samsung hasn't really promised a fix. Here's what they've said, at least in response to my inquiry about the GPS:

"Regarding your concern on the GPS capabilities of your phone, Samsung Mobile is aware that under certain conditions, the GPS on our U.S. Galaxy S devices may not be meeting performance expectations. We are diligently evaluating the situation and will provide an update as soon as possible."

Everyone seems to think "provide an update as soon as possible" means provide a fix.

I take that phrase to mean once they've "evaluated the situation" they'll say what they found. It could be the update will be: "Hey, the GPS works just like it was designed! Sorry 'bout your luck!"

I think if Samsung KNEW it was a firmware or software problem, they would have said so. I think at this point, they don't have a clue. Which is a little scary considering how long the phone's been out in Europe.

Reactions: thindery
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones