• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What I Have Done With a Droid Now That It's Rooted

im trying to figure out fastboot mode
Cyanogen says I only need the recovery img but when i go to the link it gives me to fastboot (HTC - Developer Center) that link says I need a radio img too and I dont know which one to use...or if I use one at all.

Those radio images wouldn't work I bet, as they are for HTC and not Moto's.

Oh well . . . I'm not surprised, but it would have been way cool.

Upvote 0
sooo here's my question, what benefits have you seen now that you rooted it and stopped a few apps from loading, or is it that it hasnt' been rooted long enough yet for you to report that you've customized the phone completely to your liking?

To be completely honest, the only place I have noticed any gained speed is on backlight during a call and ending a call. When I pull the phone away from my ear, the light comes on instantly. When I hit end, there is no delay. It just simply ends and goes to the call log immediately. Otherwise... no... nothing I can tell so far.

But then again, I am tired and moving at half speed right now. Ive been up for a day and a half, and I have to go to work in an hour.

What else can be done on a rooted phone? Right now I don't see anything worth the risk of bricking it. Also, I heard you can get apps for free when you have a rooted phone

First... stop trying to talk yourself into rooting the phone. If you don't have a reason that supersedes the risk of bricking it, then you don't have a reason to root. When you are no longer debating whether or not you should do it, then you will have your answer.

Second... yes, we get free apps. It is called "Market". There are TONS of free apps in there. :)

I am trying to uninstall some apps, but i get stuck at this step

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

It says operation not permitted. And with root explorer (/system/app) i get

Warning com.amazon.mp3.apk cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only

Download "Root explorer". It is GUI, so you won't get messed up with Linux Terminal commands.

Can you still get OTA updates when you root?

Absolutely not. You'll have to wait for new updates to be uploaded which retain root access... or you will have to manually install the new update and lose root. No more OTAs.

Is there a way to install .apk files via root? Or do I just have to use the apk installer? The only reason I want to do it via root is because some apps i get the parse error.

Yes... you can push the apps to the phone. I would love to look up a link for you, but I'm insanely tired and my eyes are starting to cross. I would probably link you to the official blues clues fan club or something. Sorry. In any event... do a quick google search for basic linux commands. It shouldn't be hard to find a how-to on pushing apps to your phone.

Ok, so Cyanogen has an Eclair (2.0) build up. Now that the droid is rooted, has anyone tried to drop Cyanogen's Mod onto thier Droid?

I would be willing to bet big bucks that it won't work, since the dev has already announced that he is working on a droid ROM. If an existing one worked, he wouldn't be wasting his time. ;)

I dont know how to enter fastboot mode on the droid.

I don't either, but in doing a search in Market for "Root", I did see an app called fastboot. it looks like a boot grub menu that allows easy switching between various boot modes. Perhaps that is what they are talking about?

So if i install the root update.zip, without doing all the other terminal jazz after, should Root Explorer App work? I'm getting "read only" or i need to put it into "su" in a terminal before the app will work?

Couldn't tell you... but if it doesn't work, just download the terminal and type "su" and be done with it. Not really a big deal.

Upvote 0
in "Root Explorer" App? I don't have anything on the top right.. i just have a list of all the folders in the root all from top to bottom, above that is the pull down notifications..

Make sure your drod is rooted. Download terminal emulator and type su if it says access granted. If it doesnt say anything after you type su you didnt root it.

EDIT: In root explorer its on the top left. Its a white button that says "Remount as R/O" or "Remount as R/W"

Upvote 0
Make sure your drod is rooted. Download terminal emulator and type su if it says access granted. If it doesnt say anything after you type su you didnt root it.

EDIT: In root explorer its on the top left. Its a white button that says "Remount as R/O" or "Remount as R/W"

Not 100% true, I have root and it doesn't say anything. If your prompt changes from $ to # you have root.

Upvote 0
Not 100% true, I have root and it doesn't say anything. If your prompt changes from $ to # you have root.

Really? Cause everytime I type su it tells me access granted , courtesy of "www.magicandroidapps.com/". And there is a screen shot of it here http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...our-droid-non-linux-non-geeks.html#post170201 with the exact same thing. The first time i thought i rooted it that line didnt show up, but after I rooted it correctly I saw that line.

Upvote 0
HaHa!!! Found it! /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg Changed it to camera_click.bak and not more click! Now I need to find the beepbeep when you push the button.

Hey, quick question for the guys that's been playing with this longer than the hour I have. Is there a terminal emulator that has tab completion? I'd even settle for cut and paste.

Do you mind sharing exactly how you did this?

I have the terminal emulator and if I type in /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg, it says permission denied. However, when I type in su, I get permission granted, courtesy of "www.magicandroidapps.com"

Upvote 0
Do you mind sharing exactly how you did this?

I have the terminal emulator and if I type in /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg, it says permission denied. However, when I type in su, I get permission granted, courtesy of "www.magicandroidapps.com"

Sure. As root, and after you did the remount thing at the top of this thread, cd to /system/media/audio/ui. Then mv camera_click.ogg to camera_click.bak, would look something like this,
Code:
# cd /system/media/audio/ui

# mv camera_click.ogg camera_click.bak
Do the remount thing, also at the top of this thread and reboot.

Really? Cause everytime I type su it tells me access granted , courtesy of "www.magicandroidapps.com/". And there is a screen shot of it here http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/25252-how-root-your-droid-non-linux-non-geeks.html#post170201 with the exact same thing. The first time i thought i rooted it that line didnt show up, but after I rooted it correctly I saw that line.

That's because I didn't follow those directions, whoever magicandroidapps is has screwed with some files to make it say that, which I think isn't cool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones