• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What DON'T you like about Gingerbread

I'm not a fan of the weird blue blob/box/whatever which occurs when you try to scroll passed the end of a list. I don't see it's purpose.

The login screen is surprisingly ugly. Whoever designed that needs to be reassigned to a job with no GUI tasks.

My battery life seems worse but only time and more data will tell.

I seem to lose 3G more often than I used to but that may be that the screen is updating more often than it used to so it just looks worse but is the same. It hasn't caused a problem yet.

Upvote 0
The update is available, I think people don't know how to go to settings, about phone, system updates. Not all phones check for it continually. Our admin lady argued with me to high heaven that she's not getting the update and I finally grabbed her phone, did that, and whala...downloaded.

Upvote 0
Sadly, all of the things I like are heavily outweighed by the negatives. My battery is down to roughly 50% after 3 hours of minimal usage, I can't use any music app, my phone is incredibly slow and buggy especially when switching from portrait to landscape, I can't really use my SD card (except when I go through the Files app) including viewing photos in the gallery, it constantly locks up and requires a battery pull, etc etc etc. My sister is having similar problems and had to do a factory reset and wipe it clean.

I sincerely hope they patch through an OTA fix for this. I love the concept of Android, but the instability of the OS is making me strongly consider staying with the Android brand.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of the weird blue blob/box/whatever which occurs when you try to scroll passed the end of a list. I don't see it's purpose.

I seem to lose 3G more often than I used to but that may be that the screen is updating more often than it used to so it just looks worse but is the same. It hasn't caused a problem yet.

These two things are driving me crazy right now, especially the blue screen on Facebook. Whoever thought of that, why?

Also, I'm not a fan of the dark bar at the top, and what seems to be smaller darker icons. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0
My keyboard is laggy and slow to respond to key hits.

led's.

cant stand the color scheme, but with root that will most definitely change.

cant stand the look of the dialer.

cant stand that i change the stupid voicemail speed dial. (on froyo i did)

dont get me wrong. i like gingerbread for most of its smoothness, but i can almost always find something wrong with something.

Upvote 0
Camera application defaults to 5MP Widescreen every time it closes (I don't mean every time you close it, but every time it's unloaded from memory).

I like taking my pictures on 8MP Standard.

Changing the resolution every time I want to take a picture isn't a solution. Wound up switching to Vignette and I'm using that now.

Upvote 0
I have stock GB OTA...
  1. It's killing my extended Dx battery.
  2. Resposne time is SLOWWWWW for simple commands.
  3. Yahoo mail doesn't auto update anymore. I have to do a manual update.
  4. That crazy semi transparent window shade at the top and bottom of the screen when you scroll is annoying. And the flicking in the facebook app is awful. When you scroll through and let go, the screen keeps shifting colors.
  5. Dx froze twice and rebooted automatically.
  6. Wallpaper randomly disappears and only doc shows (using launcher pro).
  7. The button LEDs are extremely bright! Almost obnoxiously so. Likely what's killing the battery.
  8. The unlock number pad for corporate sync is just hideous from a graphics standpoint. Froyos was MUCH better.
I'm pretty disappointed in this release. Was really excited but man, so let down!

Upvote 0

The login screen is surprisingly ugly. Whoever designed that needs to be reassigned to a job with no GUI tasks.

My battery life seems worse but only time and more data will tell.

Ditto on all of these.

Upvote 0
1. Direction arrow on Maps now turns the opposite direction, or the map does. I face East, it faces West. I'll have to walk backwards to see where I'm going.

2. Contacts and Dialer App are exactly the same thing/app - just open on different tabs. I prefer to have more screen for scrolling through contacts when I actually need to call someone vs. the giant tabs I would be stuck with in GB.

3. Multiple "clicks" to get an app from the drawer to a home screen.

4. I hate the color scheme. The blue notification bar is ok, but all the menus being reversed looks ridiculous. Also, the new "pinwheel" also looks ridiculous.

5. Overall it's less sleek looking/acting. Now it's more video-gamey. That's not so bad, except that there is some very simple stuff that could have been fixed instead of making useless eye candy.

6. Don't like the new keyboard at all.

7. It would occasionally freak out/hang/freeze/lockup etc. I couldn't get into system recovery to do a wipe/reset so I SBF'd to FroYo, updated again, found the compass issue and was so annoyed I SBF'd back to FroYo, and I'm staying there until another update comes out.

Upvote 0
My battery is down to roughly 50% after 3 hours of minimal usage, I can't use any music app, my phone is incredibly slow and buggy especially when switching from portrait to landscape, I can't really use my SD card (except when I go through the Files app) including viewing photos in the gallery, it constantly locks up and requires a battery pull, etc etc etc.

This is NOT a normal attribute of Gingerbread. I was having similar problems on Froyo. If you are using Launcher Pro Plus you should uninstall and reinstall. For some reason LPP just starting doing crazy things to my phone. I was really cussing it. The same for my wife who was using a D2. Uninstalling and reinstalling LPP made both of our phones run smoothly.

Upvote 0
On the LEDs I have found that if you have your screen come on when you get an item, e-mail or text, it will not turn your LED on. If you have it keep your screen off when an item arrives it will then keep the LED on. I saw this tip and tried it and it has been working great for me since.

wheres the setting to have notifications turn the screen on? i really miss having that feature on my old winmo phone. now when im driving and have the phone docked, i have to open the home screen to see what came in. ive tried just ignoring it, but that LED attracts my eye constantly. yes, im easily distracted by shiny things.

Camera application defaults to 5MP Widescreen every time it closes (I don't mean every time you close it, but every time it's unloaded from memory).

I like taking my pictures on 8MP Standard.

Changing the resolution every time I want to take a picture isn't a solution. Wound up switching to Vignette and I'm using that now.

holy crap, thats going to annoy the hell out of me too. if the wide took better quality pics id use it more often, but the 8mp setting just looks better.

The screen blinks(brightness ticks up a notch) sometimes after switching screens or in the menus. It's annoying.

my auto bright did this even before i updated. its not really that annoying to me, unless it goes way bright when im in a dark room or night time outside.

also, ive noticed the white LED (on the front) flashes when i get calls and notifications now, i didnt even know it had a white light on the front. is there any way to control these?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones