• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mac VS PC: ultimate face off!...

On Windows, all you have to do is click start and type in what you need help on. Type in "Change wallpaper" and it shows you how to do that. Type in "Connect to Internet" and it shows you how to do that. It's an OS built for dummies really.

It's absolutely not an OS built for dummies.

You seem to think that you can repeat that until we get it. I won't get that and I won't ever agree to that because it's patently untrue. It's no more built for dummies than OS X is.

And it's not one lick easier.

I just told you how to get help on a Mac, and you just tried to prove again something that can't be proved.

How about that easy for dummies run command brought up earlier?

Perhaps you've forgotten that a great many Windows configurations, as shipped, don't have that tool in the Start menu, and you have to configure it by right-clicking Start.

And if it's not there in the first place, you have to know that it can be made to exist and that Start itself is right-clickable.

And then you have to know to run things like sysedit that are not for dummies at all.

I've done systems programming for Windows. My company builds and distributes industrial software for Windows. I have used each and every version since it was ripped off from OS/2, as a professional adult. I am not new to it. There is practically nothing about Windows that I don't actually know or knew at one time.

I have written operating systems.

And I seem to know something that you don't - Windows is simply not for dummies and it's not one bit easier than that other operating system for an end user.

And I also know that you're not going to explain what you think I don't get when my intention of language was to be gentle, so you can teach me about Windows.

You haven't learned another way of doing things by your admission.

Perhaps when you learn two things you can then compare them properly and then decide which part is easier on which side and perhaps when you've done enough of that, you too will realize that both of them are getting it fundamentally wrong.

The word dummy ought not never have associated with computing machinery in the first place, but that's just an old-school thing. :) ;)

Then again, we live in an age of where this exists, so it's all good. :D

Windows is easier for you. Some of that may be ingrained, but clearly some of it is your choice.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
You don't have to put the command prompt in the start menu. It's right there out of the box. Turn it on. Click start. There's your command line. It's configured that way by default and you can't turn it off. Type any question you've got and it'll come up.

That's really great! :)

What happens when you type a dummy question, like, What's my email password, I forgot? or, How come this thing keeps popping up? or, I sent the report to Microsoft, so why does it still crash?

Did you hear the one about - Press Any Key to Continue.

Not. For. Dummies.

PS - I stated that the command prompt is not there on some Windows configurations, as shipped. You have said I am wrong. How was it that I knew how to add it then? :D :D

By the way, I put "change wallpaper" into the run command available under the Start menu in XP - I got an error dialog. The run command is absolutely a command prompt, is it not?

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0
That's really great! :)

What happens when you type a dummy question, like, What's my email password, I forgot? or, How come this thing keeps popping up? or, I sent the report to Microsoft, so why does it still crash?

Did you hear the one about - Press Any Key to Continue.

Not. For. Dummies.

PS - I stated that the command prompt is not there on some Windows configurations, as shipped. You have said I am wrong. How was it that I knew how to add it then? :D :D

By the way, I put "change wallpaper" into the run command available under the Start menu in XP - I got an error dialog. The run command is absolutely a command prompt, is it not?

I just clicked on Start and immediately typed "Change Wallpaper". It brought up two options - Change Desktop Background and Change Screensaver. Both take me directly to those options and both are probably what you're looking for if you are searching for that. This is on Win7 which is the one on any new computer you're going to buy.

Upvote 0
I just clicked on Start and immediately typed "Change Wallpaper". It brought up two options - Change Desktop Background and Change Screensaver. Both take me directly to those options and both are probably what you're looking for if you are searching for that. This is on Win7 which is the one on any new computer you're going to buy.

I think you have missed the point.

Upvote 0
On Windows, all you have to do is click start and type in what you need help on. Type in "Change wallpaper" and it shows you how to do that. Type in "Connect to Internet" and it shows you how to do that. It's an OS built for dummies really.

Sorry, but I'm about to rip your posts into tiny tiny little pieces. Here's why.

1) You're comparing Windows 7 and using that as the de facto standard for Windows OSs. I hate to burst your bubble, but a little bit of History for you:

Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - OS X dates back to 2000

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Windows 7 dates back to 2009 (and as early as 2005 if you really consider the Longhorn Alphas and Betas to be part of the core of Windows 7, which is partially true, but in practice really isn't completely true.

Another thing to note, from Mac OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (same page as before, just at the top):

Mac OS X (play /ˈm

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Doesn't tell the story, but still mildly interesting -

Comparison of command shells - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PowerShell, just from reading, reminded me of dtksh, although it does more.

I'm assuming that everyone who wants to run bash and other Linux commands on Windows already knows about cygwin, but just in case there it is. Sorry if already mentioned.

OBTW, yes, I have used OS X since before the public beta, and yes, my little website was the top for instructions on migrating to it, networking it with Windows and unix (examples given for various flavors), and so forth. Apple and others seemed to like it, it was the original full tips site. I guess I'll stop there rather than tell more stories. :D

Upvote 0

Ooops... well, I do recall reading that now, though I interpreted it as meaning a (for lack of better word) 'suped' up cmd. I hadn't really dealt too much with powershell until tonight (still haven't done 'much' with it...)..... >.>

opps. :p
M$ bash sounds about right though...
needless to say, I was quite surprised finding a man alias in there... :D

Upvote 0
Clearly derivative from UNIX.

From wikipedia, a comparison chart:

Windows PowerShell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NT Admin skills don't seem to translate well to a profitable career path. NT guys still make 1/3 of a UNIX/Linux tech.

Unix techs make more because of scarcity. There are very few Unix servers floating around in production environments. If you're a Unix tech it is very, very difficult to find employment where I live. There are very few companies running Unix based servers and very few techs that support them. If a position opens for a Unix tech, there are not very many applicants and most of them are very highly qualified and the positions do pay better. The same can be said for AS/400 techs in these parts. Those guys make more money than Unix techs. There are also far fewer of them because the OS is not in wide use.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
unix techs make more because of scarcity. There are very few unix servers floating around in production environments. If you're a unix tech it is very, very difficult to find employment where i live. There are very few companies running unix based servers and very few techs that support them. If a position opens for a unix tech, there are not very many applicants and most of them are very highly qualified and the positions do pay better. The same can be said for as/400 techs in these parts. Those guys make more money than unix techs. There are also far fewer of them because the os is not in wide use.

100%

Upvote 0
There are also far, far fewer Unix servers floating around in production environments. I think Windows owns something like 80% or more of the server market when it comes to business. Might be higher than that. I'd look it up on Wikipedia but..............

your starts are off.

MS dominates the departmental servers (small servers used for file and print serving).
The lion share of serious servers are UNIX based.
Google, Twitter, facebook all run *nix based OSes. Amazon's cloud is based off *nix.

Over 80% of webservers are Apache/NGIX/Google. MS IIS is under 18%.

Server Stats
Web Server Usage Statistics, World Servers Stats

Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Internet Research, Anti-Phishing and PCI Security Services | Netcraft

Web Server Survey | Netcraft

Nginx Passes Microsoft for Active Web Server Share

January 2012 Web Server Survey | Netcraft

Internet / Statistics | WebReference

Microsoft barely cracked 1/500 for top 500 supercomputer.
TOP500 - Statistics

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
I think A.nonymous is talking about production environments where the product is not a server or a server based service. As in at a work place, even if that workplace is an IT company. In which case if I were to put my finger in the air and pluck out a pure guesstimate number, it would be around the 80% mark.

In fact out of all the large scale IT companies I have worked for, I only saw one Sun box and that was it.

To be honest this whole thread is getting nitpicky and going around in circles. Everyone is trying to prove a point that cannot be proven as largely the question is subjective. The entire premise of the thread was borne out of the classic misconception that there was going to be a winner. There will not be.

Upvote 0
I think A.nonymous is talking about production environments where the product is not a server or a server based service. As in at a work place, even if that workplace is an IT company. In which case if I were to put my finger in the air and pluck out a pure guesstimate number, it would be around the 80% mark.

In fact out of all the large scale IT companies I have worked for, I only saw one Sun box and that was it.

To be honest this whole thread is getting nitpicky and going around in circles. Everyone is trying to prove a point that cannot be proven as largely the question is subjective. The entire premise of the thread was borne out of the classic misconception that there was going to be a winner. There will not be.

Exactly. Web servers are just a subset of production servers. I don't for a second that Unix based boxes dominate that subset. When you are talking about production servers - application servers, database servers, file servers, email servers, directory servers, print servers, etc..... those are almost all Microsoft. If you take web servers out of the equation, then almost all of them are Microsoft across the board. Throw in web servers and MS has a share in the 80% ball park. Web servers are just a subset of production servers in my mind. I may not have been clear.

We have 70 some odd clients of different sizes at the company I work for. One of them has an AS/400 box (which I confess I have no clue how to support) and one of them has an extremely ancient Unix box that is all but retired. It may not even boot at the moment due to hardware issues. Everything else is all Windows. We did have a client who wanted to talk to us about putting an Apple server in. That was an interesting conversation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones