• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From Palm OS to Android (Droid)

Note Everything pro has a very good list function. I am planning on using it as a Handyshopper replacement.

Note Everything is great for (shopping) lists. You can make lists sticky, so they are always available in the notification window. I also use it as a 'to do' app. It has built-in options to backup and restore your data. And here you can find out how to get your Palm memo's converted.

Upvote 0
what's a good replacements for:

currency calculator ? from sourceforge

hours ? (recording of job/assignments etc, from sourceforge)

citytime ? (multi city clock, globe time display, distance & time calc)

got an Atrix

I'm afraid I don't know any of these, but I would be surprised if you can't find anything for them in the market. I'd be interested in hearing if you find things you like for them. Sorry not to be more help.

Upvote 0
Ok, I did it. I left Palm TX & Nokia E51 and went to:
Motorola Defy - Android 2.1 - Companionlink - Dejaoffice

This system allows me to use the Moto as I still have the two previous devices but having the weight of just one.

Now I sync Palm Desktop to Dejaoffice by Companionlink and USB cable.

It works. Not so smooth, you have to get used to press some "ok" on device and on pc but it works.

Syncing 800 contacts and a couple years of calendar events (plus some tasks and memos) is quick.

Syncing them to native Android contacts is SLOW instead.
Approx 10 min', but it happens in the background so you can detach phone from USB, put it in your pocket and go away...

Having contacts within Android make caller identification possible...

Again, it works. I hope it can last... :)

p.s. I have downloaded and set Graffiti 1 as input method... it takes me back to '98... very nice! :)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I don't know any of these, but I would be surprised if you can't find anything for them in the market. I'd be interested in hearing if you find things you like for them. Sorry not to be more help.

found 'daylight world map', prefer Palm's CityTime

found several currency calculators, some simply crash and burn if no connectivity is available, pretty pathetic design, why can't they fetch and cache rates and display that

as much as I like the phone, many of the apps leave me disappointed

Upvote 0
I agree about the contacts apps and I find that I use Google contacts to add/edit the major portion of my contact information. For me, trying to find the contact I wanted in the Droid was way too cumbersome without a third-party app. I've been using a free app called aContacts for a better organization method on my Droid. It's not perfect, but it's better than going without it. I'd love to know if anyone else has found a better contacts app.

I had LOVED TAKEpHONE on my Treo, but when I tried aTAKEpHONE for Android, I was very disappointed (kokiangel also mentioned this).
Have you tried the Gesture app? It allows you to write the first few letters of a contact for a search!

Upvote 0
is there anything that allows to create simple text notes and transfer as text/plain to another device (say, a Palm device) ?

everything I've tried sends out html code, so 'hello' ends up as below on Palm

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><a href="Hello ">Hello </a></p></body></html>

but all I want is 'Hello' on the receiving device

Upvote 0
it might depend what method you're using to transfer things the Palm, but I've been quite happy with using either Jade note or flick note on my android, using simplenoteapp.com as the synchronization service, and resophnote as my PC client. It seems to be all based on simple text, without anything else overlaid, but I haven't poked around under the hood.

Upvote 0
it might depend what method you're using to transfer things the Palm

ooops, sorry, I can see I didn't state it. I'm trying to bluetooth stuff from Android to Palm.

the issue seems to be not with the application software, more with bluetooth transfer, even if I screen scrape a single letter 'a' on Android and bluetooth, it arrives as:

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/></head><body><a href="a">a</a></p></body></html>

I just want 'a'

it seem Android beams out bluetooth_contents_share.html whatever I do

Upvote 0
As a former PalmOS fan myself, and pretty much HandyShopper was the main reason, I'm telling you rShopping is awesome. He also has a Facebook page. He updates the app with some frequency now and it's quite robust IMHO. I don't miss HandyShopper at all now. I'm sure if there were some features you missed, he'd be very open to trying to implement them. Super nice guy.

Upvote 0
I'm slowly looking to possibly migrate to more Android apps, and, I guess a Shopping App with scanner support sounds like 'a good idea', though, a question:

last time I looked at scanning item bar codes, I've found most (all?) are US related, so, scanning items in an Oz supermarket is largely useless from point of view of lookups, is that still a case, can the lookup be made my location specific ?

I see ZXing barcode scanner does have a country selection, is that's what I need ?

(and, on another subject)

what do you guys use for car records ? I use pFuel on the Palm, just came across aCar on Android, looks pretty good, and, it seems I can import all history data from pFuel;
anyone uses aCar, is it as good as it seems ?
what else do ppl use for car records ?

meanwhile, I'll try rShopping, thanks for reccomendation

Upvote 0
I'm with you on this! As an old Palm and Windows Mobile user, I'd gladly pay for this app if Chris would port to Android!

Chris has said repeatedly that he has no intentions of porting the program to Android. I think he's made the code available if someone is interested in doing so. Way beyond my capabilities, mostly limited to batch file writing and easy scripts.

Upvote 0
As Handyshopper replacement i use ToMarket, which lately has got the missing features to be quite similar to Handyshopper. It can even import Handyshopper databases.
For expenses i use EasyMoney, very complete app.
For car mileage i use also aCar, and it works perfect for me.
To hide apps pics videos docs etc i use Hide it Pro, which disguises itself as Audio Manager, check it out.

Upvote 0
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello all. I just discovered this thread and wanted to put my 2 cents in. Wow, it's over 2 years since it was started. I am a new Android user. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 around a month and a half ago. My trusty TX was crapping out, so I was on a mission to repair it or replace it since last Fall. I found guy in Minnesota that repairs Palm devices and got a quote on refurbishing it. I thought about doing it until I found the SGP5.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have been through a few Palm devices. I bought the "Palm Pilot" when it was first introduced back in 1996, shortly after it was introduced. I think it came with 256k or 512k memory. I still have it! Replaced my yearly Franklin Planner for good. I upgraded a few years later to a Handera, then a Clie, and finally a TX. I wore them out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'll bet there are a lot of us Palm users out there lurking around waiting for a device that is a serious organizer as they say "out of the box" that will replace their Palm devices. I was one of them till now. The Samsung Galaxy Player is that device for me. All the organizer apps aren't on the device. But that's the idea of the app market. Something to be said for putting it together as I want it, not like Samsung thinks I want it. And I spent a lot of $ on add in apps for my Palm devices over the 15 years of using them. Many were organizer add ons to customize it to my needs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am very pleased with the Android as a replacement. And I sync it to my PC just like my first Palm Pilot. And the amount of useful Android apps is incredible. Swype is incredibly accurate (and it is built in). I have in essence duplicated my Palm environment with my Android using a combination of Pimlical for Android, DejaContacts, DejaMemo, DejaTask and CompanionLink. PC (Palm Desktop) to Android; no cloud for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All the apps that I relied on from my Palm have replacement Android apps. I've always been a basic user so it was easy for me. Documents to Go, ConverterPad, and Grafitti Pro have stepped right in. Plus a new app or two. One is ScanBizCard, cool as all get out. Take a pix of a business card, then import it into your contacts. Couldn&#8217;t be simpler. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Any Palm users looking for a replacement path: I have found one that works for me.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello all. I just discovered this thread and wanted to put my 2 cents in. Wow, it's over 2 years since it was started. I am a new Android user. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 around a month and a half ago. My trusty TX was crapping out, so I was on a mission to repair it or replace it since last Fall. I found guy in Minnesota that repairs Palm devices and got a quote on refurbishing it. I thought about doing it until I found the SGP5.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I have been through a few Palm devices. I bought the "Palm Pilot" when it was first introduced back in 1996, shortly after it was introduced. I think it came with 256k or 512k memory. I still have it! Replaced my yearly Franklin Planner for good. I upgraded a few years later to a Handera, then a Clie, and finally a TX. I wore them out.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I'll bet there are a lot of us Palm users out there lurking around waiting for a device that is a serious organizer as they say "out of the box" that will replace their Palm devices. I was one of them till now. The Samsung Galaxy Player is that device for me. All the organizer apps aren't on the device. But that's the idea of the app market. Something to be said for putting it together as I want it, not like Samsung thinks I want it. And I spent a lot of $ on add in apps for my Palm devices over the 15 years of using them. Many were organizer add ons to customize it to my needs.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am very pleased with the Android as a replacement. And I sync it to my PC just like my first Palm Pilot. And the amount of useful Android apps is incredible. Swype is incredibly accurate (and it is built in). I have in essence duplicated my Palm environment with my Android using a combination of Pimlical for Android, DejaContacts, DejaMemo, DejaTask and CompanionLink. PC (Palm Desktop) to Android; no cloud for me.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All the apps that I relied on from my Palm have replacement Android apps. I've always been a basic user so it was easy for me. Documents to Go, ConverterPad, and Grafitti Pro have stepped right in. Plus a new app or two. One is ScanBizCard, cool as all get out. Take a pix of a business card, then import it into your contacts. Couldn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones