• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From Palm OS to Android (Droid)

Back to the topic (and correct me if I'm not thinking straight, it's late at night), your problem is that the data is struck in Palm Desktop and you need to find a way to migrate them into Outlook, and installing the Outlook conduit is not an option (why?), right?

I'd stopped considering installing the outlook conduit, just because getting hotsync to work again after the last time I upgraded a PC (to Windows 7) was such a pain that I didn't want to mess with reinstalling any of that stuff, but I hadn't reconsidered that after knowing that the other options were also a bit of a hassle. And your post prompted me to try again. It was a bit of a pain (Sony Clie that used "intellisync lite" and the version that came with the handheld wouldn't do it by a free update would), but it worked well in the end. So thanks for prompting me to reconsider that.

I'm now syncing from Outlook to my phone with MyPhoneExplorer. Seems to be working, though it's slow to sync my whole ~10 year backlog of events with the phone.

Upvote 0
Was a Butler user from the Palm/Treo age.

Migrated to Remote Wipe for root + SIM Checker.

Replaced Remote Wipe with Autowipe (additional wipe option, not just by SMS).

Further evaluated other solutions - WatchDroid, Lost Phone...

Currently settled on PhoneLocator Pro. Best (IMO) of all SMS-controlled security solutions. Wipe, track, SIM-watch all-in-one with 2.2-specific security mechanism implemented.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the birthday calendar info. I followed your instructions right away to add it.

I've had a Palm since 1997, so this switch is a bit painful for me. My contacts are okay, because I uploaded them to gmail before I got my phone. But I still need to find replacements for apps I've used for years... memos, HandyShopper, MyCheckbook, SplashShopper, etc. I downloaded YouVersion for a bible last night, and I like the diffent versions they offer. :) So it's a start... btw, I am on day 3 of owning an Evo Shift.

Upvote 0
Have been into Palm going back to Handspring. So I have a lot of information and do not want to lose it. Example - use my Contacts for Passwords ++. And in memos have all the info on all my stuff - cars to house dimensions. And use calander dor everything (do see Pimlico Software is offering their Calender). Need help.

Upvote 0
Have been into Palm going back to Handspring. So I have a lot of information and do not want to lose it. Example - use my Contacts for Passwords ++. And in memos have all the info on all my stuff - cars to house dimensions. And use calander dor everything (do see Pimlico Software is offering their Calender). Need help.
My path from Palm to droid X was:

Change my hot sync over to hot sync to Outlook.

Use the free "my phone Explorer" to sync to droid X for contacts and calendar. I was planning to do that syncing regularly, but it ended up being essentially a one-time data transfer, because I found that I then liked using the terrific app Calengoo on the phone, syncing to Google, and using Google calendar from my desktop.

Export memos from Outlook or Palm desk top to a CSV file, and then using resophnotes on my PC and jade note on the droid X.

Upvote 0
Note Everything will import Palm memos. Definitely do look into Pimlical/A, it's a great migration replacement for Datebk6, although it is still a work in progress. Be sure to sign onto the Pimlical Yahoo group for support.

Upvote 0
Note Everything will import Palm memos. Definitely do look into Pimlical/A, it's a great migration replacement for Datebk6, although it is still a work in progress. Be sure to sign onto the Pimlical Yahoo group for support.

The reason that I didn't go with Note Everything is that it doesn't sync, except with Google docs, and from what I can tell, that's a manual one by one process, rather than syncing everything. the combination of Jade note on the android and resophnotes on the PC syncs through simple note, and is a pretty good drop in replacement for notes on Palm.

It will be interesting to see how Pimlical/A works out.

Upvote 0
I cut and pasted my Palm memos into Microsoft Word and then put those files into DropBox which fully syncs with my Android. My LG phone came with free pre-installed ThinkFree Office which allows me to edit Word, Excel etc.

I currently use Calengoo which fully syncs both Google calendar and tasks.

There are one or two features which Palm did better from the get go (eg full search function of all contact information, not just names), but I am really enjoying the new android phone.

Upvote 0
A somewhat different Contacts problem: The Palm and DateBk6 had a number of fields intended for specific purposes, but allowed anything into them. So over the years I put lots of other info into the Contacts - things like drivers license numbers, frequent flyer numbers, just miscellaneous notes etc. - into various fields. When I brought up the contact, all the fields were immediately available.

The Droid has very specific and unforgiving fields, which won't accept anything not in the exact format expected: so importing thoroughly is out of the question. I can use the native Droid contacts for a little very basic information, but when I need some of the other info I either get out my Treo or in the Droid go to Excel in ContactsToGo - where I had exported the Palm address book into Excel. When I find a contact I can scroll across many columns and eventually find all the info.

Does anyone know a way to, perhaps, create an address book with the basic name, address, and phone numbers as usual but with all the other data dumped into a Notes field?

Upvote 0
Finally I don't feel alone any more! :)
Palm user since '98 (Palm III), now still using a TX and a Nokia E51 as a phone.

It's a long time I'm trying to find a device allowing me to "merge" them in it.

Palm removed local sync from WebOS and HP bought it, so I'm considering to switch to Android.

Italian forumers are mostly interested in performances/modding, while I'm interested in a useful device as TX & E51 are.

I have read (quite quickly) all the topic and a question still remain:

I want to keep on using and syncing Palm Desktop, is companionlink/dejacal the only solution?

What's the odd about it uses it's own app on the device instead of native Android calendar/contacts?

Thanks all for this topic! :)

p.s. which is the device having the longest-lasting battery?

Upvote 0
Note Everything pro has a very good list function. I am planning on using it as a Handyshopper replacement.

Be sure to look at ToMarket for Android. It is the closest Android App in terms of matching the functionality of HandyShopper, although still there is simply no application which matches HandyShopper on Android feature for feature.

Upvote 0
I want to keep on using and syncing Palm Desktop, is companionlink/dejacal the only solution?

Are you avoiding Outlook altogether? Going through Outlook would make Android synchronization a lot easier. There are a handful of tools for synchronizing Outlook and Android. The two higher end apps are Roadsync (which I use) and Touchdown (which I know others favor as well). Both will sync: (1) contacts; (2) email; (3) calendar; and (4) tasks.

I don't think CompanionLink can handle tasks, and during my 30 day trial I found it somewhat unreliable. Your mileage may vary.

What's the odd about it uses it's own app on the device instead of native Android calendar/contacts?
The main thing is to map fields properly. Palm has a basic set of fields; Outlook has a different set. If you are using those custom fields, you want to make sure you get that data into the Droid. You can do that via Outlook, too, which also has custom fields to which you can map.

p.s. which is the device having the longest-lasting battery?
Well, that question gets a big ol' "it depends." I can tell you the Thunderbolt has dreadful battery life if you are using LTE. The Droids' battery life are reported to be good, and I have a rooted HTC Incredible with a special kernel that helps with battery life. It really depends how you intend to use the device. One major thing is that unlike the Palms of old (pre T|X and Treo), if the battery dies, your information is still intact. I remember too many times my IIIx or T|2 dying and having to completely reload everything. :-(

Upvote 0
Are you avoiding Outlook altogether?

Yes, until I can. I'm so used to Palm Desktop... and I'd like to still keep using USB sync instead of wi-fi. Anyway I'll save your suggestion for the moment I'll be ready for (or obliged to) next steps... :)

I'm not interested in email or tasks sync, just calendar/contacts would be ok. Some xls/doc will also be needed.

Fields mapping should not be an issue going on with Palm Desktop and Dejaoffice, isn't it?

About the battery, I'd use the device moderately as a phone with BT always on to connect to car and reading agenda and contacts as I usually do on the Palm.
Reading something while in a queue and connecting to internet from day to day could happen.

I think Thunderbolt is still far from italian market as LTE is, I'm considering Acer Liquid Metal, HTC Wildfire S and Salsa or Motorola Defy.
They are not too big, not too battery-suckers and have lcd size similar to Palm TX, to have good reading and pocket-ability as well... am I choosing right?

p.s. I remember when changing alkaline batteries to Palm III was longer than 2 minutes, condenser was off and data was deleted. But I also remember that, just in cas it was needed, putting them back from Palm Desktop by Hotsync was a matter of pressing a button and waiting for 5 seconds! ;)

Upvote 0
Ahhh, hadn't noticed you were in Italy!

You know, when you're in the car, you can always keep the droid charging. That's what I do when I'm using BT and GPS in the car.

And, yeah, I do remember those days of swapping out AAA batteries quickly enough not to lose the data in my IIIx! Thanks for reminding me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones