• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

I'm more in favor of quality prep and cooking across a fine cut of meat. But hey, that's just me. I'm choosy where I buy and I don't mind paying a premium for that great steak experience. It's not on the menu nightly but I go all out when I'm having a steak dinner. So to sum it all up, I'm having meatloaf tonight.o_O

Upvote 0
These people need to be removed from society.

VkYO3bv.jpg

Upvote 0
My loaf will be made with beef gravy, white cheddar Cheez-Its, mushrooms, and onion. Lean ground beef and an egg are a given. I'm a fan of a traditional tomato based loaf as well. If you didn't like meatloaf around my house as a child you would have starved. A steak dinner grilled by my pops was a rare treat. A steak dinner out was something that didn't happen.

Upvote 0
I love meat loaf! However, nothing about mine is traditional.

Ground beef (And sometimes pork)
Chicken in a biscuit crackers
Toasted sesame crackers
Egg
Worcestershire sauce
Garlic
Onion powder
Black pepper
Small pinch of coriander

Once you form the loaf, take a small amount from the top and put it aside. Now create a trough in the loaf. Fill this with your favorite cheese and toppings (I prefer cheddar Jack and crumbled bacon. Take remaining meat you put aside and cover the trough sealing the ingredients inside. Drizzle with Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce and dust lightly with brown sugar. Bake until firm and the 'crust' had caramelized.

Upvote 0
The work around was to grill out hamburger steaks... grilled meatloaf patties.:rolleyes:

That sounds good LV

Another advantage of the "trough method" is you can do several 'personal meatloaves' instead of one big one. This caters to the picky eaters since you can put different toppings inside each mini-loaf

Upvote 0
I'll admit that my favorite sandwich is left over meatloaf, american cheese, and ketchup on toasted white.
Blech.

Dngrswife uses equal parts hamburger and root vegetables like yam and turnip with some cabbage... It's pretty tasty though, and makes a good sandwich the next day with some Swiss or havarti on wheat.

Upvote 0
I miss my mom every day but Lord knows that woman could not cook. Meatloaf as a kid was a dried out brick of meat sitting in a lake of grease covered in dried out/gelatinous/sticky Campbell's tomato soup and/or ketchup. I cannot eat any meatloaf to this day, just can't do it. The stuff of nightmares I say.

Upvote 0
Your mother sounds a bit like mine. Meat was not done unless it was smoking. The lady was gifted at making pies and cakes and the like. She grew up working in a bakery and knew all the tricks. You could count her out on a decent meat dish though. It took a half a bottle of ketchup with a slice of meatloaf to make it close to edible. I somehow grew up liking the dish. Many of her other endeavors were much worse.

Upvote 0
Cube steak in an electric frying pan cooked 'til you use it as a hockey puck, another nightmare maker! I never knew steak (NOT cubed) was actually tasty until I left home. hahaha
My grandmother was a decent cook, surprisingly. She made the best gravy I've ever had and superb chicken fricassee. Mom was sick a lot so G'ma would come over sometimes. Dad got pretty good at grilled cheese sandwiches and baked hot dogs with cheese (Velveeta!) in them. We learned to cook early on and didn't do so bad, mostly.
When my mom got really sick later in life my sister and I mostly cared for her. She loved it when I cooked and not so much when my sister did. That sister inherited the 'just get out of the kitchen' gene. LOL

Upvote 0
Meatloaf is the ultimate do it yourself dinner. I used to do a fridge cleanouts and take whatever I found and make a meal out of it. A lot of times it ended up being a meatloaf. I've used ground beef, sausage, turkey, chicken and any combination of the previous items. I've added potatoes, corn, mushrooms, green beans, black beans, list goes on and on.

If I am planning for meatloaf, it's usually ground chuck and ground sausage, black beans, salt/pepper, garlic, beefy mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, egg, panko/cheddar sour cream ruffles, ketchup, mustard. loaf it, cover with bacon strips and bake the hell out of it.
YUM YUM YUM

Upvote 0
My parents worked out of town mostly through my high school years. It was a blessing in many fashions.:rolleyes: I learned to cook by trial and error. I made some pretty crazy dishes and ate them:eek:. I survived and turned out to be fairly decent in the kitchen. I like to cook and probably cook more than Mrs. Ob. I love to grill and smoke stuff. We don't fry much of anything. If we can bake it or grill it, that's the ticket around here.

My son was bragging about a Mexican meatloaf he made that I must try. Meat, peppers, corn, salsa, corn chips. It sounds good enough to give it a go.

Upvote 0
My parents worked out of town mostly through my high school years. It was a blessing in many fashions.:rolleyes: I learned to cook by trial and error. I made some pretty crazy dishes and ate them:eek:. I survived and turned out to be fairly decent in the kitchen. I like to cook and probably cook more than Mrs. Ob. I love to grill and smoke stuff. We don't fry much of anything. If we can bake it or grill it, that's the ticket around here.

My son was bragging about a Mexican meatloaf he made that I must try. Meat, peppers, corn, salsa, corn chips. It sounds good enough to give it a go.

OOOOOOOOOOooooo Yea I'ma have ta try that Mexi loaf out. I love me some Mexican and as many different spins on meatloaf as I have done I never did a Mexican variety.
Thank you sir for that fine bit of info.
:D

Reactions: kct1975 and olbriar
Upvote 0
I know what you are saying about the heat. I ruined dinner the other night. I simply added a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to some ground beef I was cooking for our soft tacos. That stuff was flaming hot. There is not enough sour cream, lettuce, and cheese in this world to water down those peppers.

Upvote 0
OOOOOOOOOOooooo Yea I'ma have ta try that Mexi loaf out. I love me some Mexican and as many different spins on meatloaf as I have done I never did a Mexican variety.
Thank you sir for that fine bit of info.
:D

I hope you like it. To add to the mix, he did say something about topping the dish off with some queso when serving.:D I'm also guessing he added some chili or taco seasoning to the meat as well.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
I miss my mom every day but Lord knows that woman could not cook. Meatloaf as a kid was a dried out brick of meat sitting in a lake of grease covered in dried out/gelatinous/sticky Campbell's tomato soup and/or ketchup. I cannot eat any meatloaf to this day, just can't do it. The stuff of nightmares I say.
Aww! I was lucky in that my mom know how to cook, though there was little enough food to go around... I was the primary cook in the house by the time I was in high school, though.

Introduced my first wife to the concept of salad (something I discovered as an adult myself), and my second wife to the thought of a medium or medium-rare piece of meat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones