• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android version for Company

We are a company that has just starting to Using MDM tool. For IOS apple devices we force users to use latest version for security.
But what about for Android, what is the best practise. We have about 2500 android devices from Android 4 to Android 9.
The easy thing would be just to require latest version, but will cause a lot of users with older devices not to connect to company email etc.

So anyone with recommandation what could be the initial base line?

well with each android update security is much tighter. the problem with android is that there are so many different devices out there. i would honest only limit it to the last few android os versions. maybe marshmallow to pie would be a good start.

Knox could be a solution I think, and of course everyone would be using Samsung as their company phones. Samsung basically introduced Knox MDM as a platform for enterprises to administrater their devices and keep them secure etc. If employees are doing BYOD and you're using say Exchange as an example, and employees need to connect to it. I believe you can specify a minimum Android version, NO rooted and modified devices, minimum password or PIN, devices must be encrypted etc

Years ago a company I worked for gave all the employees Blackberry phones. And I think that was the standard for many enterprises.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply´s
Today we have several different devices out the and some private owned devices that have the company´s mailbox. What I would like to know is more the OS version. Is Android 9 much more secure then Android 8 or which one should we go for as baseline?.

We are using intune and we have lot´s of older android devices that cannot run more then 7/8. I know we can control lot of stuff in Intune. But this is more a question about which OS version we should require in generel. We see lot´s of attempts these years and to set the baseline to Android 8 that is not updated anymore (or is it?) could be a risk

Not sure as far as security goes, but I would assume as Google release their latest OS that they are getting more secure. My note 8 just updated to pie abs the update did mention security along with pie.

I think you might want to think about devices like Samsung which is very secure with Knox.

Back
Top Bottom