• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What is the best way to make a back up from the entire Smartphone?

Biffos

Android Enthusiast
What is the best way to make a back up from the entire Smartphone (Sony Xperia X F5121)? I guess, I should make the back ups to a Computer, to my Notebook. Which programm should one use?

What is the best way to make a back up from the entire Smartphone (Sony Xperia X F5121)? I guess, I should make the back ups to a Computer, to my Notebook. Which programm should one use?
What do you mean the "entire smart phone"? are we talking about photos, downloaded files, and such? or are you talking about the entire OS and data? or just data?

if you are talking about things that are in your internal storage or even on you sd card. a pc is really all you need to backup everything.

if you are talking about your os, then you will need to gain root and have a custom recovery for that.

what are you trying to accomplish?

What do you mean the "entire smart phone"? are we talking about photos, downloaded files, and such? or are you talking about the entire OS and data? or just data?

Sorry for my bad expression.

If the phone breaks or is stolen or I just want to have a new phone and want to transfer all of my data / Apps / programs / settings / WeChat chats, WhatsApp chats, everything, to the new phone, what would I have to do to always being able to do this? Just synchronizing with a Notebook / backing up to a Notebook do not seem to work.

if you are talking about things that are in your internal storage or even on you sd card. a pc is really all you need to backup everything.
Yes, this data / files as well being on the internal storage and an SD card.

if you are talking about your os, then you will need to gain root and have a custom recovery for that.
Yes, may be the settings / my content of all of the programs are enough to restore them on another phone.

USB file transfer connection to your PC...
It is not that easy to find all of your own data scattered on the phone, how can one include all of them?

Many thanks for the link. So this - the manufacturer's software generally - is the best (and may be the sole useful way) to update all of the data on my phone.

I have read to root a phone is a bit risky, not that easy. Why should one root a phone at all? To get some more access to some options or so?

its a bit risky if you do know what you are doing. that is why you should be prepared before rooting any device. also you need to figure out if there is a dev community to support your device.

but there are many reasons to root. you get to play with some of the devs cool thinmgs that they add to their version of a custom rom. sometimes you get battery life and performance.

main thing is to read up and do some research first.

you can go here for more research:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-x/development

Xperia Companion is installed now, but it shows it has no access to the hard drive after starting it. What might the reason for it? Should I run it as an admin...?...does not give access either.

Seems to be a common problem: https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/PC-Mac-Software/Xperia-Companion-Failed-Access-Rights/td-p/1286246
not sure i do not have a sony xperia. do you have the right drivers installed on your computer? does it recognize the phone normally when plugged in?

WeChat...

... I have read to root a phone is a bit risky, not that easy. Why should one root a phone at all? To get some more access to some options or so?

Be aware that WeChat may not work on a rooted phone.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/help/wechat-root-t3805678

And even if it does work, certain features will not be available, like Wallet and Payments. In fact most banking and other financial apps won't run on rooted devices.

Can't really help you with Xperia Companion though, never had a Sony. I only have a Huawei and a Samsung.

Last edited:

Many thanks for the link. Yes, sounds good. But, so generally the phone might get a bit more vulnarable when it is rooted. May be to dangerous for me.

not sure i do not have a sony xperia. do you have the right drivers installed on your computer? does it recognize the phone normally when plugged in?
About the drivers I am not sure, are there special drivers I need for the Xperia? In the Drive / Device Manager does not seem to be an item with Xperia in its name. Yes, it seems to noramally recognize the phone when I plug it in, Xperia Companion automatically starts, but shows the message that there is no access to the drive and to check the access rights for "My files" folder / the "Document" folder.

Oops, thank you for the link. May be the same with WhatsApp.

And even if it does work, certain features will not be available, like Wallet and Payments. In fact most banking and other financial apps won't run on rooted devices.
I do need, not yet installed, a banking TAN app or such to make transfers in the future because the bank has changed some conditions.

Can't really help you with Xperia Companion though, never had a Sony. I only have a Huawei and a Samsung.
Alright, thank you anyway.

..........I do need, not yet installed, a banking TAN app or such to make transfers in the future because the bank has changed some conditions............
yeah this is one of the reasons why i have not yet rooted my phone. i know that there are ways to "hide" banking apps so that it will work, but there are extra steps that make it a pain to do so. plus i like samsung pay on my phone. i think when i upgrade to the note 10....i'll keep my note 8 and root it and use it as a wifi device or something.

Can one revert a rooted phone, make the rooting undone? I assume, no. Or even switch between rooted and not rooted?

Yes, rooting the old phone after upgrading to a new one is a good idea.

Can one revert a rooted phone, make the rooting undone? I assume, no. Or even switch between rooted and not rooted?

Yes, rooting the old phone after upgrading to a new one is a good idea.
yes and no. both rooting and unrooting is a process that is not easy to switch back and forth to

So one cannot just switch between them just to use the phone unrooted and rooted, if need be, alright.

you can do it. but it not an instant transfer. it will take time to unroot it, and then reroot it. of course i know nothing about your phone, so i do not know the process for both.

either way if you really want to root it. please read. and then read again. make sure you ask questions here. read some more. then root your phone.

i found this to root your phone:
https://www.search4roots.com/how-to-easily-root-sony-xperia-x-f5121-android-nougat/

and go here for custom roms and other root tools:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-x/development

if you plan on rooting do the research first. making mistakes could potentially brick your phone and also void any warranty or insurance you have on the phone

Thank you very much for searching and the links!

The Android Root App looks good, one click rooting...if it really works flawlessly.

if you plan on rooting do the research first. making mistakes could potentially brick your phone and also void any warranty or insurance you have on the phone
Yes, so it seems to be quite a bit of an effort to get the information, researching and such. And a little risk always, obviously.

But before, I guess, I should get the back up software / Xperia Companion working to get a back up anyway.

yeah i'm not sure but check to see if there is any sony drivers installed on your computer. does your pc detect your phone when you connect the phone to the pc?

Back
Top Bottom