• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

25 year shelf life food?

For some reason (appropriate given my avatar) the thought of food with a 25 year shelf life calls to mind the conversation in one Red Dwarf episode about the fact that they'd run out of cow's milk months ago and were now drinking the emergency supply (dog's milk):

Holly: Lasts longer than any other type of milk, dog's milk.
Lister: Why?
Holly: No bugger'll drink it.

I consumed quite a bit of WWII rations back in the late sixties that were gifted to my local Civil Defense chapter. Was certainly nothing great about the food but I ate it on camp outs and the like for it was doomed to be tossed. I, and everyone that indulged, lived to tell the tale. Dried eggs, milk, pancake mix, lemonade and the like were pretty good actually. The canned beef and stews were just okay. Spam in a can is spam in a can. It doesn't get better with age. :)

I'm not a prepper but I have a buddy that is. He's not into buying MREs and the like but he does have an impressive stockpile of buckets that he's personally prepared to last years.
He rotates his stock so nothing he's put up is over five or six years old. All dry consumables like beans, rice, flour, and the like. I understand he is quite happy with his efforts.

When one is considering the long term without a supply chain, I would think medications would be a huge concern. I don't take meds but as a whole, we are a creature dependent on corrective, preventative, and supplemental medications. They all have a fairly short shelf life. I don't know how a person that's dependent prepares for a shortage or no supply. A well prepared first aid kit will last decades... medication, not so.

Not really ontop of my head, I think there is some shelf life to some food pantry items, I did acquire a bit ago,
maybe I should start baking them when I feel like having a ton of time on my hands. Nabisco, Nestle, Oreo, Twinkies,
Dunkin Donuts, we have some perishable food like with time though..

Snipped from the net: Most bacteria and other microbes cannot grow or reproduce in honey i.e. they are dormant and this is due to antibacterial activity of honey.

It's amazing stuff.
Well here is also a deep thinker, water and ice never expires at all. Who heard of water ever going bad?

After taking a look at the link, I found something else of interest: the world's oldest known leather shoe--and it's Armenian, like me. :)

It's an interesting read. Famous shoe designer Manolo Blahnik himself comments on its look and resemblance to modern shoes.

Its the first time I've been on that site but I plan on going back and reading threw some the articles. I'm glad you liked it :)

Its the first time I've been on that site but I plan on going back and reading threw some the articles. I'm glad you liked it :)
It's great how one thing leads to another online. Start out reading one interesting thing, next thing you know you're reading something completely unrelated!

never been a big honey fan.... but i better get into it now :thinking:
I don't use honey any more myself, but if you're interested, I know that eating certain local varieties can help people with allergies. Something to do with specific pollens and allergens, and building up the body's immune response to them.

If you're just after tastiness, Orange Blossom was always my favorite honey. (Now I have real orange blossoms--on the orange trees in my yard--and when they're blooming, the scent is almost intoxicating. :))

After taking a look at the link, I found something else of interest: the world's oldest known leather shoe--and it's Armenian, like me. :)

It's an interesting read. Famous shoe designer Manolo Blahnik himself comments on its look and resemblance to modern shoes.
I lost an Armenian close friend of mine, online about three years ago. ::: blinks::: She and you are like two peas in a pod... Funny betcha you two never met.

I lost an Armenian close friend of mine, online about three years ago. ::: blinks::: She and you are like two peas in a pod... Funny betcha you two never met.
Sorry for your loss. :(

I'm quite sure she and I never met. Until I moved back home to LA--which has the most Armenians anywhere but Armenia--I almost never met another Armenian.

One I will always remember fondly and prominently, and with great respect, was my first pre-med biology professor. My brain [which still functioned back then] was like a sponge; he was a brilliant communicator and instructor who made learning biology fascinating. :)

Thank you for the compliment MoodyBlues and most importantly, thank you for being a good friend. You know I come across your posts and the things that you say, the way that you say theme is , and Im not just kissing butt , straight up you personally is so beautifully unique. As a matter of fact, I go a big giggle when you said in regards to an Android phone "doesn't mean you have tovdrop it like a hot potato" and it reminded me of when I was young. :) In another you mentioned "wait untill Senility kicks in". I thiught to myself, thats if were lucky. Believe it or not, I had my mid life crisis at 25, I couldn't get the thought of "halfway to 50 out of my head" (LoL )
Now Im 50 and it just is what it is.:)

PS: My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend

Back
Top Bottom