• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move photos to SD card

vinoman

After upgrading from Android 8 to 9 I can no longer move photos to my SD card. The move option when selecting the SD drive is gone.

How do you move your photos and movies from the internal HDD to your SD card in Version 9?

Android 8 was a better OS. :(

just an fyi i would use google photos. it makes it so that you do not have to worry about photos any more. it automatically backs them up to the cloud. and you can set it to only update when connected to wifi.

i do not have your phone, but it is not there in your camera settings under storage location?

just an fyi i would use google photos. it makes it so that you do not have to worry about photos any more. it automatically backs them up to the cloud. and you can set it to only update when connected to wifi.

i do not have your phone, but it is not there in your camera settings under storage location?

I use Google photos also. but you should be able to move photos from internal to external drive like you could in Android 8. I guess I'll stop using a microSD drive and just delete all the photos.

Android 9 is not very good. Can I do a factory reset and go back to 8?

not sure how easy it is on a moto phone.

are you sure it is not a glitch? you might want to try a hard reset and see if fixes it. sometimes updates can get corrupted. if you do end up downgrading (if possible), it will wipe data anyways.......so i guess now is a good time to try a hard reset.

After upgrading from Android 8 to 9 I can no longer move photos to my SD card. The move option when selecting the SD drive is gone.

How do you move your photos and movies from the internal HDD to your SD card in Version 9?

Android 8 was a better OS. :(

How are you moving those photo files to your microSD card? Assuming you've installed a file manager app, which one?
In your file manager app in its Settings or if it has a menu bar is there any reference to SAF or Storage Access Framework? Just as an example I use the Ghost Commander app and whenever I need to copy or move files/folders to my microSD card I need to use its Storage Access Framework mode.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/providers/document-provider

As for Android Pie (9), give it a chance to grow on you. Here's a detailed review you might find worth reading through:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/android-9-pie-thoroughly-reviewed/
Perhaps if you get more familiar with its features things might look a little more appealing. Another way to get used it is go to just sit down and go through your Settings menu. A lot of it will be the same as before with Oreo but there's new or altered things too.

How are you moving those photo files to your microSD card? Assuming you've installed a file manager app, which one?
In your file manager app in its Settings or if it has a menu bar is there any reference to SAF or Storage Access Framework? Just as an example I use the Ghost Commander app and whenever I need to copy or move files/folders to my microSD card I need to use its Storage Access Framework mode.
https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/providers/document-provider

As for Android Pie (9), give it a chance to grow on you. Here's a detailed review you might find worth reading through:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/android-9-pie-thoroughly-reviewed/
Perhaps if you get more familiar with its features things might look a little more appealing. Another way to get used it is go to just sit down and go through your Settings menu. A lot of it will be the same as before with Oreo but there's new or altered things too.

So you have to use a third party app to do what Android 8 did without any extra app?
All I want to do is have a sound for text and a different sound for gmail. that was easy in 8.
and moving photos was also easy.
Why can't be done in 9?

Article doesn't answer my questions.

Well, since you don't want to answer my question, how were you copying/moving files before, that makes it hard to make any relevant suggestions. I've always just relied upon a file manager app to transfer files/folders around. Or were you using the Settings >> Storage menu? I've always found that to be a more less useful when it comes to actual file management tasks.

Regarding sounds, have you looked in your Settings >> Sound menu and is it actually a matter where there are no options there to alter various sounds? Also, depending on just which texting app and which email app you're using, have you looked into their respective settings menus and see if there's any options to change?

Well, since you don't want to answer my question, how were you copying/moving files before, that makes it hard to make any relevant suggestions. I've always just relied upon a file manager app to transfer files/folders around. Or were you using the Settings >> Storage menu? I've always found that to be a more less useful when it comes to actual file management tasks.

Regarding sounds, have you looked in your Settings >> Sound menu and is it actually a matter where there are no options there to alter various sounds? Also, depending on just which texting app and which email app you're using, have you looked into their respective settings menus and see if there's any options to change?

I'm using Moto G6 and I'm trying to configure gmail and default messaging. I'm doing what I use to do in version 8, version 9 doesn't have the same options or they are so hidden that you can't find them.

I've gone to Setting storage and gmail settings and I can't find a way to do I don't install many apps because most are garbage. I used what's included in version 9.

in external storage does not have the option to move photos and videos that was there in 8. I guess since I use Google photos I can just delete photos from the drive. microSD is not longer needed since I can't use it as before.

I'll have to put up with it with out the control I had before. Have any other ideas? Thanks

... I don't install many apps because most are garbage. I used what's included in version 9.
Well if you can't do the things you want or need to using just the default apps and you're averse to installing third-party apps from the Play Store, I have no suggestions to offer. My experience with apps I install has been just the opposite from yours, as I've typically found third-party alternatives to have better, more expansive feature sets with more options to customize and optimize services to my liking.

Back
Top Bottom