• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Is unlocking bootlooder for boost/sprint LS770 out there?

jmacie

Sep 28, 2014
I'm new to this phone and am wondering about getting the bootloader unlocked for a custom recovery. Do the variants from metro pcs and t-mobile have custom recovery and unlocked bootloader already? I don't like messing around without a rom backup. Any comments are appreciated! Thanks jmacie

I'm new to this phone and am wondering about getting the bootloader unlocked for a custom recovery. Do the variants from metro pcs and t-mobile have custom recovery and unlocked bootloader already? I don't like messing around without a rom backup. Any comments are appreciated! Thanks jmacie

t-mobile and metro had a unlocked bootloaders but then the carriers locked them down via OTA but all they had to do was check OEM unlock and flash TWRP via Flashify and they are unlocked...Sprint/Boost on the other hand not so much locked down tight OEM unlock doesn't work yet

Upvote 0

I believe so, if you didn't take the OTA stock Lolipop 5.1.1. update. That, locks the bootloader.....if I remember correctly.

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
6th_Hokage, on my Stylo I noticed the option to "Enable OEM Unlock" under Developer Options. Are you saying that even though the option is there, it doesn't work when you check the box?

I too would love some advanced recovery options. But if worse comes to worse, would a simple reset work to at least restore my Stylo to factory conditions? I have rooted it per your instructions.

Upvote 0
6th_Hokage, on my Stylo I noticed the option to "Enable OEM Unlock" under Developer Options. Are you saying that even though the option is there, it doesn't work when you check the box?

I too would love some advanced recovery options. But if worse comes to worse, would a simple reset work to at least restore my Stylo to factory conditions? I have rooted it per your instructions.

I tried the "enable oem unlock" then I tried to boot to bootloader, no go. I then booted to recovery mode and tried to go to the bootloader from there, no go. I guess the enable oem lock may be an extra precaution, but I'm usually wrong when I guess. I did try binging it but no real straightforward info. Thanks for that info though. I imagine it will be a part of the solution.

Reactions: 6th_Hokage
Upvote 0
I tried the "enable oem unlock" then I tried to boot to bootloader, no go. I then booted to recovery mode and tried to go to the bootloader from there, no go. I guess the enable oem lock may be an extra precaution, but I'm usually wrong when I guess. I did try binging it but no real straightforward info. Thanks for that info though. I imagine it will be a part of the solution.

Well normally "OEM unlock" is a thing that the official website tells you to turn on to get the unlock code then eventually unlock it....but right now that is only the European Model LG G4....but it could be that Metro and T-Mobile just didn't lock down the bootloader good enough

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any new info?
No straight up concrete proof, but I have a v10 and v20 also and they finally defeated the dm-verity that begun on Marshmallow, so there may be a way. I am not versed in trial and error rooting, so I couldn't tell you itdefinately is or not. What I can say is not enough people still own or talk about this phone like us, so probably not gonna happen. I may try the old one-root solutions, but I bricked so many times in the beginning and had to send it to LG to fix. I'm not ready to brick it again, so I'm not going to risk it now. The last root on V20 they exploited the LAF partition, so maybe that's the way to go here. Cheers, Johnm

Reactions: Juggalo19076
Upvote 0
No straight up concrete proof, but I have a v10 and v20 also and they finally defeated the dm-verity that begun on Marshmallow, so there may be a way. I am not versed in trial and error rooting, so I couldn't tell you itdefinately is or not. What I can say is not enough people still own or talk about this phone like us, so probably not gonna happen. I may try the old one-root solutions, but I bricked so many times in the beginning and had to send it to LG to fix. I'm not ready to brick it again, so I'm not going to risk it now. The last root on V20 they exploited the LAF partition, so maybe that's the way to go here. Cheers, Johnm

Ty for the info I just broke phone other day sadly tho

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones