• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting word out

23tony

Mar 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC
If this isn't an appropriate forum please direct me appropriately.

It seems to me that the development part is the easier part of the equation - when you have an app, how do you get out word for people to use it? I'm thinking that simply putting it on the Play store isn't going to get a lot of attention. Do you advertise? Word of mouth? etc. - just wondering what approaches you've seen that worked.

Let me first say that I'm not a developer. I am an end user. I follow advice and suggestions from members of these forums and I read app reviews. I look for apps that perform flawlessly, continue to be supported, aren't plagued with ads, and have an ad free option if I like it. I have apps that satisfy my normal needs so when I'm shopping, I'm looking for an app that is unique.. a niche sort of app that not many are seeking. I'm the average Joe so if you want your app to be popular, you'll need to develop something that's unique or does so much more than the hundreds of similar apps to gain any popularity. The reality is, and it's a sad reality, that most bases have been covered and most of them have been covered well. To gain any ground you need something far better or something that a small market needs. I bet it is quite frustrating to a developer. I admire your ability to bring an app to market and I wish you all the luck in the world for it being well received. This site as well as all others that I know will consider excessive barking of your wares as spam. Social media perhaps. I wish I had something to offer for I feel your pain. Good luck with your app.

Upvote 0
we do have a forum where you can post your apps here.
https://androidforums.com/forums/4/

Already done that: https://androidforums.com/apps/just-a-map.16435/

This one is nothing special (I made it mainly for myself), so I kinda get it, but with all the apps on that forum it seems like almost anything would get lost.

I'm looking more at marketing strategies and the like. I've got a couple that I can't see much if any competition, and there's a few games I'm working on that are actually new concepts. But even then, with so many others out there, how to you separate your app from the rest?

It almost seems like you have no chance unless you're one of the big publishers anymore.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones