• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth issues

Software version 1 July 19 update

Issue - certain devices will not work with bluetooth.

Process - item is paired via bluetooth but doesn't connect to app. Remove device to re-pair and the phone cannot connect to the device on subsequent retries.

Effected items - samsung gear vr controller, mgcool band 5 (brand new)

Samsung gear VR controller (bought a new one to replace), was then able re-bond the original which I thought was dead. It then worked for a while then dropped off and won't rebond.

Mgcool band 5 - bonded, wouldn't talk to the app. Removed from bluetooth then attempted to rebond and won't rebond (cannot connect to bluetooth device: even though it can see it).

Actions - I've cleared the bluetooth cache, restarted and nothing changed. I've even removed devices I don't use that often just in case there is a limit to how many devices I can have paired.

HAILP.

well it could be 2 things: a software or hardware issue. try going into safe mode and see if it is still happening. if so then you will need to do a factory reset. if that does not work then it most likely is a hardware issue......and you should take it in to get fixed.

Given you can connect those devices in the Bluetooth menu, it's a little puzzling why you're focusing so much on trying to fix Bluetooth. From your description this sounds more like an app issue, not necessarily Bluetooth itself.
Have you tried rebooting your phone? That's always the first thing to do whenever you're trying to diagnose any problem.
Have you tried 'Clear cache' or even 'Clear data on either of the apps relative to those devices?

Yes, been and done all that and no joy sadly.

Also thank you for your reply. The misleading bit is that its hit and miss as to weather the devices can pair. Sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

Its weird and very annoying.

Last edited:
So, the nuclear option worked.

It would appear that (since I've never reset this phone since I got it in Aug 2017), stuff got chuffed up.

In this instance the steps I went thru to resolve are as follows.

1) un/re-pair device/s
2) un/reinstall apps used by devices
3) clear bluetooth cache and restart
4) clear cache partition
5) install Samsung members app and use diagnostics to pick up and issues (none)
6) nuke phone master reset

In the event that the bluetooth issue would reoccur I had to forgo a remote restore (only lost 2yrs of texts and call logs no biggie).

Just now the long process of reinstalling all my apps, but thanks for the help in getting me to this stage.

Devices now work (but not sure i trust the phone right now not to screw up again; we'll see).

It was likely a long term without a deep clean or an OS update that rendered your BT connections worthless. I'm guessing after a factory reset (though a drastic step) will not only fix your BT problems for some time to come but also make your phone snappier than it was prior to the reset. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom