• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing "Use password after restart"

sachertorte

On my Z Fold 4, when I initially start the phone, I could touch the power button (sensing my fingerprint) to get to where I could input my password and start the phone. On my Z Fold 5, even though it is set up similarly, it will not do this (I do have fingerprints set up). I have to swipe the screen to be able to get to input my password. Has the feature as described on the 4 been eliminated in the 5?

Danny

what do you have in terms of lockscreen? there should be an option for fingerprint. do you have it set up for swipe?
I have it set for a password lockscreen, just like on my Z Fold 4. I went through the options side by side between the Z Fold 4 and 5 and can't really find where anything is set differently, unless it is something very very small in a menu I missed accessing.

Danny

I am starting to think that somehow the phone is "wired" to operate slightly differently, even if you use the same settings. On my Z Fold 4, if I were to pick it up when it had been sitting idle, sleeping, and a text had come in, I would get some kind of audible/felt warning. Now, on the 5, nothing, even if I change from vibrate to silent, full on sound, etc. I am pretty sure that I used Smart Switch to transfer settings, too.

Danny

It's normal for a phone to require PIN or password after a restart in order to enable biometrics. That was the case with my Pixel 2 (pre-dating your Fold 4) and my Galaxy s21 (from its original software to the current Android 14 One UI 6.1). So it sounds like there is something unusual in your Fold 4's software.

It's normal for a phone to require PIN or password after a restart in order to enable biometrics. That was the case with my Pixel 2 (pre-dating your Fold 4) and my Galaxy s21 (from its original software to the current Android 14 One UI 6.1). So it sounds like there is something unusual in your Fold 4's software.

I am going to have to supply an image of where the function on the two phones start to differ in function so it is more clear.

Danny

Ah, I think I get it: the scanner, integrated into the power button, doesn't wake the screen after a restart. Which is actually also the case for my s21's under-screen scanner (and always has been), but wasn't the case for my Pixel 2's dedicated scanner on the back of the phone.

I'd assumed this difference was related to under-screen scanners, but both of your devices have power button scanners so it's not obvious why Samsung would do it differently in the 2 models.

Ironically this is one of the most irritating features of my s21: when, every now and then, it wants you to enter the PIN instead of accepting the fingerprint it simply turns the fingerprint scanner off, rather than letting it wake the screen and showing a message telling you to enter the PIN instead (which is what my Pixel would do). It's really annoying because you tend to assume that you just missed the scanner and try again, so you waste time before you figure out what is going on and double-tap the screen to wake it. I'd be curious as to whether other devices using under-screen scanners (e.g. Pixels) have the same annoyance. But I'm also disappointed if Samsung now do that with dedicated (power button) scanners, since that's what they use on the Flip devices which I could see myself using in future.

I fixed the lack of notification on this Z Fold 5 that I had on the Z Fold 4. You need the "Alert when phone picked up" option checked. I had that checked on both phones, but I found out that if you have Google messages set as a default, the message alerts will not work (at least for messages). It works with Samsung messaging, and maybe nothing else. I don't know if using Google messaging affected my calls not answered alerts. I changed to Samsung messaging and started playing around with the phone, then the alerts started working, but admittedly, it seems like this new phone is not quite as sensitive at picking up the unread messages and unanswered calls as my Z Fold 4 was. At least it is working.

Danny
Screenshot_20240610_010043_Settings.jpg

Recently, I talked with Samsung about this, and their tech person said that although the Fold 4 and 5 are very similar looking and running, all Fold 4 characteristics did not always carry over exactly.

Danny

I think it's normal, in my note 8, after entering my password, my device unlocked automatically visa, but in case of my note 10 plus I had to first enter the password and then press ok, to unlock the phone, it seems different settings for different devices I guess even though both were Note series.

Marsh

Back
Top Bottom