• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tsuchinshan-ATLAS Comet

olbriar

1000024124-jpg.609366

Scientists predict the comet will reach peak brightness around October 12 when it will pass closest to Earth. PARK CITY, UT — Comet C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) is expected to reappear in the skies in the coming weeks, stirring excitement among comet watchers.4 days ago

A comet coming in 2024 could outshine the stars - if we're lucky

That implies that the comet will magically "appear" in the sky that night and only that night... like a meteor shower or something. Comets aren't like that: they're WAY out there and should be visible for at least several days...

I think they are implying that it might be visible to the naked eye the 12th. Being as it has an orbital cycle of around 80,000 years, they haven't a lot to go on :) Hope for the best and expect less is a good approach for new-to-us comet spectating.

Right now that thing is so close to the Sun that I can't get a fix on it without the risk of burning out my optics. Maybe I'll have a brief chance tomorrow night (meetings tonight): all I can do is hope for a nice shot.

Clear skies after 2 days of rain but I didn't find the comet. I'll have to go somewhere, too much light and too many tall trees trees for low-sky viewing in my 'hood. I'm running out of night's though...

After dinner, I went riding. Half way between my town and the town South, two dudes were set up to attempt some pictures. There were high clouds and I think their chances were slim for a window. I stopped and wished them good luck all the same. I rode until near dark. The West sky was rose colored. I think they got in a good practice run.

Back
Top Bottom