• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Window AC Unit with Heat Pump?

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
I had an overhead Mini-Split AC unit in a long and narrow section of my house that crapped out. The HVAC company quoted me $3k to replace it, which seems reasonable, but I'm not convinced I even need the mini-split. They installed a window unit for now, which seems to be working fine, and they agreed that buying a window unit that does AC & Heat would probably be the cheaper and easier solution.

So I started hunting Amazon for options and found this:

The room is narrow and only 300/400 square feet. There's a deep window that's perfectly positioned for a window unit to blow through the room. I think I only need a unit with about 8,000 BTU, but a limited number of units have heating capabilities.

Then I read the reviews: "Cannot be used as a primary heating unit. Will not work if outside temperature gets below 41 degrees."

That's a deal breaker! I lucked out finding it buried in the reviews. Is that typical of window AC units? Anyone have experience with these that can recommend a specific product?

I also worry that my electric bill will increase drastically and in hindsight wish I would have replaced the minisplit.

Hmm... what to do?

I have always heard that window units are not known for their efficiency. I wouldn't think it would be a drastic increase in your bill but I'd expect an increase. Doing a quick Google on window unit heat pumps, it seems they don't work well below 25°F. Some high end models perform down to 5°F. I would want to know their power consumption when they are working that hard.

Just replace the mini split. Unless you live in the hood, don't nobody want a window unit in their neighborhood. They look tacky.

it seems they don't work well below 25°F. Some high end models perform down to 5°F.
I couldn't find any that have an actual heat pump and that specifically mention outdoor temps (aside from that 41 degree unit). 25 would probably suffice and 5 would definitely do the trick but I don't want to take any chances.

Just replace the mini split. Unless you live in the hood, don't nobody want a window unit in their neighborhood. They look tacky.
The property is in a historic neighborhood and this window overlooks a shared back alley that is used for trash bins and a truck loading zone, so nobody is worried about the appearance.

All that being said, I'm leaning towards just replacing the mini-split, but I'm shocked that a product doesn't exist that is marketed towards these specific needs (window unit for 4 season AC/Heat full-time).

You have to understand how a heat pump works.

When the a/c mode is running the heat is removed from inside the space to outside the space. That is why the outside unit blows hot air, that is the heat that was removed from inside.

A heat pump uses a reversing valve to reverse the cycle, it removes the (recoverable) heat from outside and deposits it inside.

There is "recoverable heat" down to like 300 and some odd degrees below zero, yet one must know that the recovered heat is also going to be a negative number.

Now, heat pumps have what is called a "break point", which is where the system can not deliver enough heat to be comfortable via the "heat pump" cycle.

This is where the auxiliary heating comes in, this is basically an electric heat strip that is activated when the break point is reached. So you are not only running the compressor you are running heat strip(s), doubling down on the light bill ! ! !

Most wall heat pump thermostats provide the option to not use the "emergency heat" mode, (or to use it exclusively), but it will not be enough heat to stay comfortable if it is cold enough to pass the "break point".

In central systems the auxiliary heat package, (emergency heat) is optional and must be purchased and installed at the time of equipment installation.

One year I had a call from a customer complaining it was cold, that year we had snow on the ground. (this is tropical paradise fer christ sake)

I got out of the truck and could hear the compressor running, the heat pump was working. I went inside and it was colder inside than outside where the snow was !

To the attic to see why the emergency heat was not working and surprise !

There was NO emergency heat, the system was installed as a heat pump only system, bad move !

Of course I could not explain this in layman terms to the customer, all I could advise her to do was call the landlord and have him call me if he had any questions as to why it was cold in the house ....

Anything to save a dollar eh ?

Back
Top Bottom